December 12, 2013

You Know What You Have to do by Bonnie Shimko

You Know What You Have to Do
You Know What You Have to do by Bonnie Shimko
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: March 26, 2013
This quirky, appealing YA novel turns formulaic teen fiction on its head as funny, feisty fifteen year-old Mary-Magdalene Feigenbaum (otherwise known as Maggie) suddenly faces more than the usual typical YA concerns: a voice in her head that is telling her to kill people. Not just anyone—each time the target is someone who has done something terrible to a person Maggie cares for. You know what you have to do, the voice commands. Maggie struggles to resist, but the voice is relentless.

With rising suspense, this story of psychological horror introduces a narrator whose own unique voice and irreverent humor are unforgettable—an unlikely hero fighting a desperate battle against incomprehensible evil.
You Know What You Have to do was a weirdly psychological thriller type book. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started it, and when I finished I was even less sure of my final thoughts. I don't really think that anything was actually resolved, or that there was any real moral to the story. Maggie kills several people throughout the book, and while you'd think that something would come from it, nothing ever really does. I found that to be endlessly psychotic.

Speaking of psychotic, Maggie was really psychotic. I didn't see her as funny or feisty like the description says...I just saw her as psychotic. First impressions really suck. But they stuck, for her. From the very beginning she's hearing the voice in her head that tells her to kill people...and she does it (that voice was way scary). And as we know from YA books, psychiatrists are very easily played. Which makes me feel bad for their profession, but whatevs. It seems like they're always made out to be quacks in YA books. All Maggie does is lie to her psychiatrist, and he never really seems to catch on. You'd think that Maggie would try and get help, but no, she doesn't want anyone to know that she's crazy. Valid reason. But if she hates the voice so much, why doesn't she ever take the help that's offered to her? Not only that, but she crushes on her 35 year old psychiatrist. Imagines what it would be like if they were married. Sometimes, older men are attractive. But fantasizing about curtains for a man that old is so gross that I made up a term for it: ickles.

I mean, a crush is okay, but I can't imagine having such advanced feelings for a guy his age at my age. Does that make sense? And then the guy her age? Well, he's crushing on her and stalking her and blackmailing her and what does she do? She blackmails and threatens him right back. The whole situation was downright freaky deaky.

That's probably an accurate description of the entire book. Maybe I'm being a harsh critic, but You Know What You Have to do just didn't sit right with me. All in all, it's not really a book I would recommend unless I knew that you were into that kind of stuff.

17 comments:

  1. Woah,a heroine who kills people just because a voice inside her tells her to do so?Now that's what you call a pure psycho.I mean,that's what every killer says as an excuse,right?
    And crushing on a 35 year old man?Seriously?That's gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds so creepy and crazy. I don't think I'd like this book either but I ever somehow would get this book I might consider it just to see how crazy Maggie is and how creepy that voice in her head is. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not heard of this book before, but from your review this book just sounds all out crazy lol Great review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear this one didn't sit right with you, I haven't heard much about it, so thanks for the hoenst review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! I call her a psycho too - and there's not no rhyme or reason to it! Well, there are a few very attractive 35 year old men... but I just can't imagine going to the point where I was building a life with them in my mind like she was - that is gross!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was very creepy! Haha, that's actually the reason that I read it - I'd been told that it sucked, LOL. So I understand that. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was definitely crazy! It kind of freaked me out, LOL. Thanks, Janina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry that it didn't too. Thanks for commenting, Brandi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not into that kind of stuff, so I'm okay! LOL
    This sounds... well, kind of horror-ish? Not my type of book. Psychotic can be interesting... but it can darn right alienate the character to the readers. Seems to be the case here.
    But you made me laugh with the review, girly! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. That makes two of us! I'm REALLY not into it.
    Um, maybe a little bit? It wasn't mine either. Psychotic like Mara Dyer? Because I definitely get a crazy vibe from her sometimes. And yes, her psychoticness (Mary's) totally alienated me from her. I didn't like her at all! Awww thanks! I strive for that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, Mara Dyer is an example, though I liked her enough in the first book despite it. I just kept feeling like there was more behind everything and that nothing was as it seems so *shrug*
    You do it well <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. She kind of freaks me out, honestly. Have you read the second book? Because it's crazy?! Nothing is as it seems. LOL.


    Aww.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, I haven't. My original plan was to wait for the final book to be released, so I won't have to wait... but to be honest, I'm not sure if I'll ever read it now. I have it, but it doesn't call to me. I barely remember anything from the first (even though at the time I gave it a freakin' five stars, which I think was highly affected by all the love around for it, and less with me actually thinking it deserved such a rating) and I have no desire for a re-read... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh. I'm sorry that it happened like that. :/ I personally hate that! LOL. I hate when my opinion is influenced by hype - it's like a book peeve. It sucks. :/ Maybe you'll remember why you loved it if you reread it, though?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate when that happens, too, but it does happen sometimes...
    You're right, but the thing is, there are so many books I WANT to re-read that I loved (like Cinder, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Howl's Moving Castle, The Island, etc). I'd rather reread them than this book...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It does. It's a problem, though. Hahah, I understand, LOL. Go for the ones that you WANT to reread. They're always the better books anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete