December 13, 2013

Furious by Jill Wolfson

Furious
Furious by Jill Wolfson
Series: N/A
Source: Won
Publisher: Henry Holt & CO.
Publication Date: April 16, 2013
Three high school girls become the avenging Furies of Greek legend.

We were only three angry girls, to begin with. Alix, the hot-tempered surfer chick; Stephanie, the tree-hugging activist; and me, Meg, the quiet foster kid, the one who never quite fit in. We hardly knew each other, but each of us nurtured a burning anger: at the jerks in our class, at our disappointing parents, at the whole flawed, unjust world.

We were only three angry girls, simmering uselessly in our ocean-side California town, until one day a mysterious, beautiful classmate named Ambrosia taught us what else we could be: Powerful. Deadly. Furious.
We are straight out of mythology, goddesses who avenge, retaliate, punish, haunt, hunt, and don't stand around being victims, but make things happen.

I was really expecting to love Furious. And while I liked it, this didn't add up to "love" for me; although I wish it could have. The first seemingly small thing that I couldn't get past was the fact that it's based in America. Normally, this isn't a big deal, as most YA books are based in America. But the fact still remains that this is a GREEK myth come to life. Why isn't it based in Greece?

I realize that this is a small thing... but come on! I never got an explanation for it. And I would have liked to have seen one. The other thing that bothered me was "The Plagues". I could possibly see how someone might come up with a set of nicknames like that, but I really doubt that it would be a group of teenage boys. It just doesn't ring true for me. I can't imagine boys going by nicknames such as "Gnat", "Bubonic" or "Pox". This is also a small thing. The rest of the book was fairly enjoyable!

I liked the character of Stephanie; I believe that she was my favorite. I could relate to her, because in her own way she was trying to change the world. I loved that about her. Even when she could have (or even should have) given up, she kept trying to stand up for what she believed in. As a result, I admired her. Alix and Meg, however, didn't really do it for me. Alix was too tough and hardcore (with no sense of mercy) and Meg was... how do I say this gently? I felt like Meg was way too power-hungry, which threw her sense of justice out of whack.

Meg definitely grew as a character throughout the book, though, which is a bit more than I can say for Alix. Stephanie figured it out too, eventually. I was proud of them for that. I felt bad for Meg's friend Raymond, though. He always seemed like such a happy light-- I wish that he had gotten a bit more character time, you know? I also wish that the romance between Meg & Brendon would have been given more time. They fell "in love" by the second date, which is a big no-no. Thankfully, the romance was such a small part of the book that I easily overlooked it.

My favorite part of this book was the myth of the Furies. I loved it when the girls took out their fury on people; it gave the story so much. It was so easy to see why they did, and I'm positive that the story would have been lacking if they hadn't thought that they were justice itself. As Furies, they were superbly power hungry and mildly insane.

All in all, I would definitely recommend Furious is you're in a mythology mood (like I was), and don't mind a few minor things.

22 comments:

  1. I added this book to my TBR list,as I love any book that's based on Greek Mythology.I have never paid much attention to Furies,as they are always considered as the cruel minor characters of the stories I've read so far.But this one sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greek myth? Furies? A character named Stephanie? I'm in! :D

    Great review! It sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to read this because of its take on the Furies myth. Thanks for the review, I've been meaning to read this myself just can't find the time. (New follower)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Percy Jackson's series is also in America. But it has a really good explanation. Like, Percy himself is surprised the Greek Gods are in America, so I guess that makes all the difference?


    Ohh, falling by second date IS a big no-no *shakes head*


    Why didn't you read Percy Jackson if you're in a mythology mood? :( (not gonna give up until you read it! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. This is SO another reason that I need to get on reading it! Soon, I think... soon. THAT DEFINITELY makes a difference! I hate how no one is ever surprised that the Greek Gods are in America... they're Greek. Jeez, get it together, folks!


    IT IS! Gah, I can't imagine loving someone by a second date. (That being said, I do believe in chemistry.)


    THIS was before I had the Percy Jackson series, and I was reading all the mythologies - why couldn't it have happened when I had it? I DON'T KNOW. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I know exactly what you mean about time! It's so hard to manage. Thanks for reading it, girly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! I want you to read it, Steph! :D Thanks, it was a pretty good book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I pretty much love anything based on myth too - they're so great! :) The thing is... I don't really think that they're cruel. This book makes it much easier to see all that - they're just a bit misguided. It is pretty interesting, Mishma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well,I think I've read books that show furies as cruel creatures.Have you read Meg Cabot's Abandon series?It's based on the Hades-Persephone myth,and furies are the main villains of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neyra @DarkestAddictionsDecember 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM

    I love greek mythology! And I agree, it should be based in greece >.< lol. still though, i'm glad that despite the minor details, it was still something enjoyable for you. Great review Megan, I've had this on my tbr for a while, hopefully i can get it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, IKR? Like, they're called greek gods for a reason! The least you can do is be surprised by this turnout!


    I'm with you - chemistry doesn't mean love, though. You can be extremely attracted to someone by 2nd date, you can fantasize about your future children (lol), it still doesn't equal love. Love comes with knowing the other person. Personally, I believe love to be possible when you know the other's bad qualities, too, but find you're okay with them. Though, I've never been 'in love' so who knows, I might be wrong.


    You and Percy just don't have luck when it comes to one another :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read the first book of that series, but that's as far as I could get. I LOVE the Hades Persephone myth! Furies are always portrayed as villains. :/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do too! LOL. It was a pretty enjoyable read! Thanks, Neyra! I hope that you get to read this one soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! Exactly! <3


    I never said that it did. ;) I think that you're exactly right, Nitzan. No one is perfect, and if you think they are... you're sadly mistaken. People wear rose colored glasses way too often.


    And nope, we just don't. :/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why?You didn't like it?
    I love it too.Have you read Goddess Test by Aimee Carter?

    ReplyDelete
  16. No, that wasn't the problem - I just never got to the others. I don't really know why?
    Yes, I have... and I didn't like that one. :/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I can understand that perfectly.After all I am the queen of abandoning series,remember?:)
    You didn't?That's surprising.I liked the book,and Aimee Carter's twists and turns made it really interesting.
    Do you know any other books based on Greek mythology?

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL, I remember. :D I just hope that you'll never abandon Bloodlines - I need you to live vicariously with those books!
    Nope. I don't even know why. :/
    Well, the Starcrossed series is good, and then there's Percy Jackson (which I haven't read) Tera Lynn Childs' Goddess Boot Camp books, and her Sweet Venom series, and there's more I just can't think of them right now. LOL. Do you know some more?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Abandon Bloodlines?Never going to happen:)They are the love of my life.In fact I am sad that there's only two more.
    I haven't read Percy Jackson either.But I loved the movie.I've heard about Sweet Venom.Have you read that?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to hear it. ;) There's really only two more? That sucks... five books, right?
    I have it on my shelf, and I hear it's amazing... but PJ is yet to be read. Um, no I haven't. It looks interesting, though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Six.The recent one,The Fiery Heart was the 4th.Silver Shadows,the 5th,will be out in July 2014 and the 6th one in 2015.Then I'll have to say goodbye to the books:(
    Have you read Everneath by Brodi Ashton?It's also based on Hades-persephone myth.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, six books isn't too short - but not very long either. OH NO! One never says goodbye to the books that they love. That's what re-reads are for, right? :)
    Yes! It was maybe three stars? I'd like to see where the story goes, though. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete