December 29, 2013

Scene It Sunday #5: City of Bones Movie Review

City of Bones
Series: The Mortal Instruments, #1
Source: Bought
Leads: Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower


When her mother disappears, Clary Fray learns that she descends from a line of warriors who protect our world from demons. She joins forces with others like her and heads into a dangerous alternate New York called Downworld.

I'm going to start off by saying that I'm sorry that both of the last "Scene It Sunday"'s have been movie reviews - I promise you that was not how I planned it. I expected to have at least one problem with this movie. But, actually - there was not one thing that I would have changed about it. Not one thing was left out - there were even original lines from the book!

I really liked the actress who played Clary (Lily Collins), and the actor who played Simon. They both played their parts well, and I'm going to tell you that Simon is just as cute and adorable as he was in the books! I wasn't sure about Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace (he's just not what I pictured), but after the end of the movie, I can honestly say that he's won me over. Spot on portrayal! (And what is that accent? It's awesome!)

The atmosphere was absolutely perfect. The blend of elements - the Downworld, and everything else... gorgeous. I didn't expect to like it so much! When we went into the Shadowhunters' club in the beginning, all I could think about was how absolutely stunning it all was - and how much it was exactly what I pictured! Just... ah it's beautiful!

The demon scenes were... to put it bluntly, chilling. I was freaking out a bit when that dog's head split open, I will tell you that right now. Valentine was... weirdly attractive. And I can see that they chose someone who could definitely be charming if he tried. Hodge was also spot on, and Isabelle and Alec were well cast.

I almost died when I saw Magnus Bane - he is perfect for the part! My only real problem is that I question how Simon will look in later movies, because they didn't make an effort to make the vamps look normal - they look pale and sunken in. The werewolves were good - Luke looks just as fatherly as I always pictured him... and Jocelyn really does look a lot like the actress who plays Clary!

The original storyline was kept to, and the OUTFITS. They were absolutely frickin' amazing! All black and gloves and aahhhh. I just - I heart it. All in all, I've gotta say that I really loved the City of Bones movie! I watched it twice within three days, so definitely check it out.

12 comments:

  1. Loved this movie.The cast was perfect.Though I am a little weary about Jamie Campbell Bower.I pictured Jace a lot more handsome than him.
    Loved Simon.He's so adorable,right:)?
    Magnus was just ....woah.He's one of the best side characters ever.
    I am eager to watch the sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this movie yet. I know, shame shame shame. I just didn't get around to see it when it was in theaters. So now I'm waiting for it to come out to rent here. I think it's in February somewhere... Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure about Jamie to begin with, I wasn't a huge fan of him in other movies but I must say he ended up being a great Jace. (he has a British accent fyi).
    I don't understand the Simon appeal. I think he's a jerk to be honest, but I do like Robbie Sheehan so he kind of makes up for it a little.
    So glad you liked it Megan ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised that you said it followed the book impeccably well! I think this movie didn't get enough attention in the theaters, I barely remember it being in and I meant to go see it, but didn't. Twice in three days? Then I must go see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aly @ My Heart Hearts BooksDecember 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM

    I didn't really like this movie but I do like how faithful they kept it to the book. I'm not a huge fan of the TMI books but I do think that fans of the book will be generally pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like it! :/ Haha, I really liked it... so I'm sure other "fans" will like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really did! I love it when they include original lines from the book in the movie! :) I don't really think that it did either... I mean, I wasn't going to see it in theaters, but I remember a couple friends going and that was it. You really must! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me either - I mean, I never saw any of his other movies... but he just wasn't what I pictured, so I was leery of him.. you know? (LOL, well... it's a very nice one. ;))


    Teehee. I think it's the nerd girl thing - we all like the nerdy book. I think most people were Team Simon - and I didn't see that, but I do think that he's just a sweetheart. I'm glad that I liked it as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! For shame, Steph... for shame. I understand, though! I hope that when you finally do see it... I hope that you like it, girly! It really is a good movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too! They were perfect, LOL. I'm kind of weary about him too? I don't find him ridiculously attractive either. I don't know, he's got the attitude down... but he's just not what any of us really pictured, LOL.

    HE IS ADORABLE. I love him. <3


    Yep. LOL, I just kind of cracked up whenever I saw him in the movie. I can't wait to watch the sequels either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the movie and it inspired me to read the series. It's kind of nice that I did it backwards because now I picture the characters as the actors. I might have a small crush on the guy who plays Jace. As you said, his accent is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's nice to hear a story like this - the idea that it got to a bigger audience because of the movie is great! :D I love having a complete picture to put on characters, but a lot of the times I change it up anyway, LOL. It truly is! :D

    ReplyDelete