December 16, 2013

Goddess by Josephine Angelini

Goddess (Starcrossed, #3)
Goddess by Josephine Angelini
Series: Starcrossed, #3
Source: Bought
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 28, 2013
After accidentally unleashing the gods from their captivity on Olympus, Helen must find a way to re-imprison them without starting a devastating war. But the gods are angry, and their thirst for blood already has a body count.

To make matters worse, the Oracle reveals that a diabolical Tyrant is lurking among them, which drives a wedge between the once-solid group of friends. As the gods use the Scions against one another, Lucas’s life hangs in the balance. Still unsure whether she loves him or Orion, Helen is forced to make a terrifying decision, for war is coming to her shores.

In Josephine Angelini’s compelling conclusion to the masterfully woven Starcrossed trilogy, a goddess must rise above it all to change a destiny that’s been written in the stars. With worlds built just as fast as they crumble, love and war collide in an all-out battle that will leave no question unanswered and no heart untouched.
When I started Goddess, I was really unsure. The books in this series have gotten progressively better with each installment, but I was afraid that this one wouldn't live up to my standards. It didn't help that I started it out blind-- I had to relearn several of the character names, because I didn't re-read the previous books before starting. This made the first few chapters a bit muddy, because I had to sort out all of the secondary characters in my mind.

I liked that we got a few glimpses into Daphne's mind with Goddess-- in earlier books, she's been a huge mystery, but I loved that she opened up a little in this one. (And she's not all bad.) But before I start in on the virtues of Daphne (few and rare), I want to talk about Helen. The main character, the balm that's supposed to hold this whole series together. Honestly, Helen isn't a great character to me. I do like her, but it's the secondary characters that really make it pop.

For instance, when I think about why I love this series...what comes to mind? Orion. Lucas. Hector. All of the interwoven stories from ancient mythology. Memories and Scions...did you notice that none of my reasons were Helen? I did. And honestly, it really doesn't bother me that I don't "love" Helen.

I did, however, like the introduction of Andy! A new character in a group you've come to love is always exciting, because you're not sure how they'll play with the other characters; but I loved Andy. She was so interesting-- a siren? Come on. That is awesome. I also liked the introduction of her as Hector's love interest. They were so adorable together!

And I just have to talk about Orion for a little bit, y'all. I love him! He's like my sad puppy dog, honestly. I'm always rooting for the guy who probably won't win. But I just can't help it! Orion was a really deep character, and I felt like I could feel his sadness. And it was sad-- I did love his ending, though. He deserves to be someone's first choice.

As I've mentioned before, I loved the Greek myths that were interwoven into the story-- the idea that each character was a representation of each of the myth characters was awesome! I completely fell in love with some of the characterizations, let me tell you. All the pieces and characters connect and snap perfectly together. Unfortunately, I did think that it was obvious from the beginning that Helen was the tyrant. It didn't ruin the plot or anything, because I was completely freaking out over it, but... (OMG OMG OMG)

There is so many other things that I want to tell you, but I just can't risk spoiling the book! Just know that my heart strings were tugged back and forth, and that the ending (while semi-happy) fell a bit flat. The rest of the book was so amazing, but the ending was slightly anti-climatic. There was a lot that I wanted to see resolved. Overall, this series is really worth a read. Don't let a "slightly" anti-climatic ending keep you away!

9 comments:

  1. 4.5 stars?Then the book must have been really good:)
    I've wanted to read this series for a long time as I love Greek Mythology.I am just trying to get a copy of the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! 4.5 stars! I don't remember seeing any of those before from you. This must be a must read!
    Is this the last book in the series? (I have the first on my TBR)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HECK YEAH it was really good! I love Josephine Angelini! :D
    I love Greek myths too, and this is definitely a series worth reading. I kind of love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEP! Crash Into You got 4.5, LOL. But this was an amazing read! I WANT you to read it soon! :D
    It's the last book in the Starcrossed series, which gets progressively better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the second and third books in a local bookstore but not the first.I hate when they do that:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, but I was expecting Crash into You LOL
    I want to read it soon too! I'll have to get my hands on the first, somehow :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. GAH me too! How can I start a series if the first book is unavailable? Like, why?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL. Expect it all. ;)
    I really can't wait for you to read it! I love it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. This series was just so downright addictive. I loved all the Greek mythology, it was perfectly done.

    Cheap Software Download Microsoft, visit website

    ReplyDelete