December 27, 2013

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: February 26, 2013
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.
Fun fact about me: an ending can just make or break a book for me. If it has a rocking ending, maybe my previous three star rating will go up, and if it has a crappy ending maybe my previous five star rating will go down. I'll give you three guesses as to what happened here.

If you didn't guess, the ending sort of broke this one for me. It still gets four stars, but because it's a work of genius and a romance between two NORMAL people. But the ending... as realistic as it was, that was a book thrower for me. Good thing that it's on my kindle, or I literally would've - I sort of gently tossed my kindle away.

I kind of started backwards here, to tell you the truth. Let's go back to the beginning. The first paragraph, the first sentence - they were like instant hooks. I wanted to know all about Eleanor and Park, and why Park is looking so hard for resemblances in other people. Lucky for me, we found out pretty sudden like. I loved how normal and lovable both Eleanor and Park were.

Eleanor could be a bit overbearing and brash at times, but it's just her personality - and it's very easy to get used to, because I know several people that Eleanor could literally be. It was easy to imagine her, because she was just so real! I also liked Park - he was like the cutest thing ever. Really. And he's so mushy adorbs - finally a sweet guy! (And chivalrous!) *hugs fictional character*

I also appreciated their family dynamics. It was really nice to see Eleanor and her mom go to the grocery store... I mean, that just made my day! Real, normal every day things! In a book! And the world didn't end! But Eleanor's stepfather is....gross. I really, really disliked him. Like, I would beat you badly disliked him.

Contrary-wise, both of Park's parents were great! His mom was a little iffy at first, but I grew to like her. Some of the things that she says are just too funny. And Park's dad was a pretty good guy, even if he is a little tough on Park.

Eleanor & Park together, though... the warm fuzzies. They were so cute, and I love love loved them together! They were kind of awkward sometimes, but it was still so cute. I do think that Park's confession of love was only because he was scared, though. He could've waited just a little bit longer before he threw it out there. (Oh, like that's a spoiler. You already knew that they were going to fall in love!)

All in all, Eleanor and Park would have been at LEAST a four point five for me, if the ending just hadn't killed it for me. I do want to read more by Rainbow Rowell, though!

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one Megan! Shame about the ending though (although I felt the same). If you want to read more by the author, I'd recommend Attachments… it's a lot more fluffy, but the ending's more fulfilling. I've heard a lot of positive things about Fangirl too, although apparently the ending of that is a let down too.

    Anyhow, lovely review Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that I liked this one too! OH GOSH. You understand, then! It KILLED me. I died. Really. I'd love to read Attachments! It looks really adorable and interesting. :) Fangirl was pretty good, but the ending is a let down, in it's own way. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a sweet romance story. I giggled when you said how you just tossed your Kindle a bit when you reached the end, hehe.

    Mada @ All Fantasy Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a sweet story. LOL, thanks. I really did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this book.I've heard good things about Rainbow Rowell and her Fangirl sounds amazing.
    I think I am going to love Park already.A sweet,awkward guy.Sign me in:)
    I am curious about this ending though.Well,I have to read the book and see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fangirl wasn't that awesome upon first reading, but now I'm reading it again - it's one of those books that disappoints you at first (in my case), but ultimately becomes a favorite.
    I bet that you will! Park really is super adorable - I love him. The ending is just... sad. Mostly sad. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really?How was the characters?
    I am already in love with Park,just based on your description.
    Why don't they get together in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. Cath is a fun character - the kind of girl who sits in her room all alone, and hates the public... I think that all book bloggers relate to her at LEAST a little bit. And Levi, the love interest... I die at his adorableness. (Weirdest thought ever, but I just want to have a miniature Levi to carry around in my pocket. NO, I have no idea WHERE that came from.)


    Haha, well... I guess you gotta read it now! :D Um, it's just more real life than a lot of books. There are problems that don't magically go away, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the fanfiction business in the book.I used to write,but I don't have much time for that anymore:(
    Really?Another adorable guy?I think I am just going to love all the guys Rainbow Rowell creates:)

    Exactly.I love books that show real life.Realistic fiction is great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See, that's where I didn't connect - I've never done fanfiction, and I don't think I've even read any. O.O But you used to write? :D
    Hahaha, it's a good possibility! She writes the nerdy ones, not the bad ones... they're all hard core geeks, but of different types. :P


    Realistic fiction is great! It was just sad in this case, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We read this book in our book club. I waited until the last three days and then gave it a go. Every word and nuance were a touching and beautiful experience. This book truly touched my heart. :)

    Best Aviation One Emergency Medical Transportation Services

    ReplyDelete