December 18, 2013

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker

Unbreak My Heart
Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: May 28, 2013
Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams' heart. She fell for her best friend's boyfriend and long story short: he's excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life.

Enter her parents' plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now. Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he's just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem's walls and heal her broken heart?
The easiest way for me to describe Unbreak My Heart is that it was uninspired. I liked it okay, but I didn't feel like it really pushed any boundaries or tried hard enough to be something different. It was just an okay kind of book.

Our main character, Clem, didn't really do anything for me. I was really hoping that she would be this deep, emotional-type girl, but I found that most of the emotions that she experienced went from anger to guilt to sadness and back again. She just wasn't who I hoped she would be. She was honest and I'm glad that we got to see her story, but I was hoping for more.

Speaking of her story, it seemed to be very long and drawn out. It seemed like we were only getting bits at a time, and while that can be fun, in this case it just made me want to get to the bottom of the mystery so I could stop obsessing over it! OMG, I really hate it when I obsess about something that really doesn't matter like that. I mean, it matters, but it would have been better if we could have gotten more of the story at one time, instead of making it this big ordeal.

I have to say, though, it did mesh really well in a past and present type way, which was nice. What else was nice, you ask? Well, the romance between James and Clem was actually very cute, but it can adequately be described as nice, which is a bit disappointing. I don't really see it going anywhere, to tell you the truth, which is kind of saddening.

All in all, Unbreak My Heart was an alright kind of read that I liked okay, but it didn't wow me.

10 comments:

  1. I love the cover of this book.
    Sounds like a cute romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cute, isn't it? I didn't really love this one, but you could say it was cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book but I'm in no rush to read it. It sounds a little meh. I do love the cover. So pretty and pink. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I understand that! ;) I thought it was, but I hope that you love it - and that cover is adorbs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I think meh books are the worst. They're forgettable. You don't hate it, you don't have strong feelings, you don't squeal. It's just...okay. Sorry it wasn't as good as it could have been for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aly @ My Heart Hearts BooksDecember 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

    I read this awhile ago. I thought it was okay, and I liked Clem's revelation about the cheating but other than that, I can't actually remember too much of what happens, but I do like the cover still :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are definitely forgettable, that's the worst part! I'm sorry that it wasn't amazing too. :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was okay, but like you I'm having trouble remembering details. (I've had this review scheduled for forever!) It is a pretty cute cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry this didn't really work for you-I remember loving it and that it really tickled my contemporary loving heart but I know it's not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry that it didn't work for me too, but I'm super glad that you loved it, sweetie! :)

    ReplyDelete