December 30, 2013

Catching Liam by Gennifer Albin

Catching Liam (Good Girls Don't, #1)
Catching Liam by Gennifer Albin
Series: Good Girls Don't, #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: July 8, 2013
Twenty-one year-old Jillian Nichols only has one rule when it comes to boys: catch and release. Boy-catching isn't just a game for Jillian and her friends, it's a lifestyle. After all, boys might be good for a dance or a drink and certainly a little under-cover action of the scandalous variety, but expect much else and you're bound for heart ache.

So when her best friends and fellow boy catchers start dropping like flies junior year, Jillian is determined to keep boys in her bedroom and out of her heart. Until she meets Liam McAvoy, the kind of guy that sticks around to make waffles and who can't—or perhaps won't—take a hint.

Study abroad student Liam doesn't want to be another notch on Jillian's bedpost. Actually he has much more interesting ideas for Jillian and her bedposts, but his student visa's set expiration date means he can't promise her forever. That doesn't mean he's going to walk away from the challenge of discovering why Jillian is hell-bent at keeping people at a distance.

Before long, neither is sure who is catching who—or if they're playing for keeps. Jillian knows one thing though: falling in love will not only break the only rule of boy-catching, it could also break her heart.
Catching Liam was another drama-ridden new adult novel. Maybe I'm just being judgemental, or holding books to too high of a standard, but recently nothing seems like a hit or miss with me. Especially new adult. I honestly think that they're getting the worst ratings from me.

Don't get me wrong, Catching Liam was a fun, sweet read, but it really didn't wow me. I found Liam and Jillian as a couple to be adorable, but I also think that there was a little too much emphasis on Jillian in their relationship. It seemed like everything was her her her, and I didn't particularly like that. She acts a bit like she's the only one in the world with problems, and that just rubbed me wrong. Not to mention the fact that she was keeping secrets from the very beginning, and the fact that oh, she's falling hard and she can't tell him so. She's keeping so many secrets that they were eating her up in side, and when they finally came out it was like this huge, big, drama-ridden ordeal. I feel like the drama was drawn out for effect.

Liam too-- he was really swoony at first, but then he made a couple of decisions that put him off me a bit, then he redeemed himself, and I just think he was drawn out and I don't know what to make of his character. I forgive him because he made waffles, though.

Jillian's mom, Tara, was so mean to them! I didn't understand why she was such a jerk for a long time, but then I did and it was painfully obvious that she just wasn't sure how to respond to her daughter, which I found really sad. Not only that, but in the end, she really did help her daughter and no one seems to see it. They just see her as a terrible person.

Moving on to the secondary characters. I felt that they all could have been more developed. All in all, Catching Liam wasn't awesome, but it wasn't terrible either. I'm a solid three on this one, and I feel like my review makes me sound like I hated it...but I really didn't.

9 comments:

  1. I hate these type of heroines.I can never relate to them.
    A friend of mine in GR recommended it to me,but I was not that interested in this one.I am getting tired of the same pattern in NA books nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me either. Nothing about them is easy for me to relate too - and that's a good thing, I think!
    Ah, well. Not everybody can like everything. And I'm sick of all the recurring patterns in NA too - I want to see something amazingly new! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is definitely a good thing:)
    Exactly.When I started reading NA,I was fascinated by the romances.But now everything seems the same:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thank you. ;)
    I love romance - that's pretty much what I love about everything. But when it gets repetitive, I just want to... not read it anymore. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I forgive him because he made waffles, though" --> I've a feeling you'll be a very easy girlfriend to appease, Mags xDDDD


    I actually really dislike long, drawn out angst. I just don't like it - it always feels like it could've been resolved earlier and its just unnecessary drama. I've a feeling I had a long discussion with you on the subject at some point *tries to think back*

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that is the moment where Megan forgives me - just waffles. I'm positive that I wouldn't be too hard to please, LOL. I mean, waffles!


    We have had this discussion! That's kind of why I only gave this three stars - because sometimes, drama is just too much. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too.I am a huge fan of romance.Whatever genre it is,if the book has a great romance,I'll definitely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, if the guy buys me a book (especially if it's a book I talked about) he's forgiven. So I'm a little bit harder. But I'm positive that if he makes me food... I'll forgive him too, 95% of the time. But on the safe side he should get me books ;)


    Yay, I remembered correctly! Still not senile! :D
    Yep. Too much drama = less enjoyment. At least for me (and you!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not necessarily, because that would make me happy too! Have you seen that thing on tumblr about buying books as a pickup instead of drinks? I mean, that would work %100 more on me, I'm sure! Books are always good. ;)


    Hahaha, it'll be a while before you get senile, girly! We're matchers, obviously! :P

    ReplyDelete