December 10, 2013

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
Angelfall by Susan Ee
Series: Penryn and the End of Days, #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: Feral Dream
Publication Date: May 21, 2011
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

I jumped right into Angelfall without having a clue about it. I knew that it was about angels, but that was the extent of my knowledge. To tell you the truth, I'd never really been interested in it before - it didn't seem like my thing. But I gave it a shot, for Nitzan!

And it turns out that I actually liked it! It was really... I guess intense would be the word. It felt like we never really stopped for a breath. There were lots of horror-y moments where I wished I wasn't reading in the dark, and there was a bit of a mystery going on. I liked the mystery, even if in the end it was all gruesome and such. Gruesome is okay.

I liked Penryn too - but her name... I don't know about it. I couldn't decide how exactly to say it, so it kept coming out "Pinrin", which probably isn't right... but whatever. I also had a bit of a problem with Raffe's name - I kept calling him "Raf-eee", even though it's pronounced "Raw-Feet". I guess I just have a bit of a problem with pronunciation - let's blame it on my roots. But I've sidetracked a bit here... back to Penryn.

Like I said, I liked her as a character. She was a really strong girl, and it was nice to see someone so focused on keeping their family safe in a situation like hers. I did have a problem with some of the things that she did, though. For someone so focused on family, she's not afraid to run off and leave her schizophrenic mom anywhere - and her mom always finds her. I'm not going to lie, Penryn's mom sort of scared me.

There were lots of terrifying moments in Angelfall. And I mean lots - Susan Ee sure knows how to write a suspenseful scene, which I liked. I even liked the ending, although it was kind of sad. I still liked it. All in all, Angelfall was a pretty good read.

32 comments:

  1. I love this book.Since it was so short,each page was packed with action.I wished they had a little more romance,but otherwise,I enjoyed it a lot.
    I am surprised that it only got a 3.5 rating from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you liked it - it's one of my favorites. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I've had this on my Kindle for so long but I can't seem to get to it. Also, I dislike angels so I'm kinda scared. lol. x')

    ReplyDelete
  4. She does sound like a character that I could like as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear that! Characters are hard for me, LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally know how that feels - my kindle is a wasteland for unread books, LOL. I think that Raffe is actually a really good angel - not like Patch at all. I understand your fear, though! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear that, Mishma! I definitely wish that it had more romance too - I was really rooting for Penryn and Raffe. They're so sweet together! Haha, why? 3.5 is a pretty good rating from me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well,I hope that there will be more romance in the sequel.Are you going to read the second book?
    Ah,I almost forgot.3.5 stars is a huge thing when it comes to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really hope that there will be too - and DEFINITELY. I bought it on my kindle as soon as I finished this one! I'm hoping to read it soon! :) LOL, it's just that my feels and my thoughts don't always add up - I stumbled through some of this book, so it got a lower rating! (it feels inappropriate to smile here, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't manage to get a copy yet.But I really want to read it.
    Let me know your opinion after you finish it.
    You do have a twisted sense of humour:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear that! I actually got mine really cheap on kindle - about $3.99! :) I definitely will - I imagine that I'll like it.


    Thanks! I think.... :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really?Then maybe I should try to get it.
    Well,I meant it as a compliment:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep! You should see about getting it, LOL. :)
    Well, thank you then. I'm never sure when people say things like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also enjoyed this book and felt the same way about the names. I was like WHAAAA??? But Penryn's mom...what was her deal? *lol* I was always just like 'O...kay...' whenever she was in the book. She was just so freaky! But a good review, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear it! LOL, the names are the strangest thing! She's certainly one scary lady! Aww, thanks, Diantha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL you do so much for me <3
    You read it in the dark?? silly girl!
    Penryn's mom is one of the scariest points in the book. Like, seriously. I also sense there might be more to the story there, because at the end of the book Penryn suddenly wonders if her mother was the person to hurt Paige, after all, and I've got a feeling there is more to THAT story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL! :P
    Yep. I always read scary books in the dark! I DON'T KNOW WHY.
    I WANT to know more about that story - I want to know what's wrong with Penryn's mom and GAH everything needs to happen. WHY five books?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You need to stop that little habit, before you get a heart attack oO
    I want to know that too!
    I DON'T KNOW!! I WANT IT TO BE A TRILOGY! A TRILOGY IS BAD ENOUGH!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahahah but I can't help it! It's some kind of obsession. :P
    YES. I THOUGHT IT WAS A DUOLOGY, I WAS HEARTBROKEN. WHY YOU TORTURE US SO?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you watch scary movies in the dark, too?... I always make sure all the lights are on cause I'm such a coward xDDD
    A Dualogy would've been nice. Much better than a... is there a name for a 5 books series? I know 2- dualogy, 3 - trilogy, 4 - saga.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep, LOL. I'm an idiot, LOL. You're not a coward! I have no idea. A five book series is pretty much unheard of, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a coward and I'm proud of it, so it's okay to call me one xD
    Considering there are 20-30-40 books series, I think 5 is not THAT unheard of... but it doesn't have a name, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hee hee. Whatever you say! I don't think that you're a coward, though. :)
    Not one that I know of. But like Janet Evanoch's series? It's like 25 books or something like that! O.O

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is a series I love of thrillers (In Death by J.D Robb) that is about 40 books long, or Dark Hunter series which is about 30, and stuff like that. Pretty crazy, right? We can at least be comforted by the fact Angfelfall won't be that long lol *beggars can't be choosers*

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've heard of that series! Should I try it out? Because it looks interesting. :) I LOVE Sherrilyn Kenyon, although I've only read her teen series. It is pretty crazy! That's some extreme motivation that they've got going there. :)
    LOL. Good point there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE the In Death series!! I'm not that far in, but I adore what I've read so far!
    Chronicles of Nick? Because I started with the Dark Hunter series (which features him, as well), I became kind of wary of reading of his part :/

    ReplyDelete
  27. :D I'm glad that you like it! I don't really know what it's about, LOL. Yep, it's about him... I haven't read the Dark Hunters, but something bad happens to him, I'm pretty sure. :/

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's basically about a detective in the futuristic world. She has had a tough life, and grew to become of the best detectives out there. And her love story with a really swoon worthy guy who is not 100% on the "legal" side of the world. It's really awesome.


    Yes. Something bad. Gah, I didn't like that. I was like "NOOOOOO" in my head :( I'm afraid to see how worse it's going to get...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ah, well... hmm. Maybe my thing, maybe not! I guess I'll just have to try it. ;) Oh, are we talking about a bad boy here? :P


    I think I know what it is. But I'm only on like the third book of the series, so who knows. I might not know what I think I know. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Not a "bad" boy per-se. I mean, he is just too sweet and kind and thoughtful for that, but he does fit some of the criteria. He's very alpha male. And he's more than a billionaire. I really hope you give the first book a chance! :D


    I'm still weary of reading Nick's past. Even six months later. LOL

    ReplyDelete