December 2, 2013

One Tiny Lie by K.A. Tucker

One Tiny Lie (Ten Tiny Breaths, #2)
One Tiny Lie by K.A. Tucker
Series: Ten Tiny Breaths, #2
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication Date: June 11, 2013
Livie has always been the stable one of the two Cleary sisters, handling her parents' tragic death and Kacey's self-destructive phase with strength and maturity. But underneath that exterior is a little girl hanging onto the last words her father ever spoke to her. “Make me proud,” he had said. She promised she would...and she’s done her best over the past seven years with every choice, with every word, with every action.

Livie walks into Princeton with a solid plan, and she’s dead set on delivering on it: Rock her classes, set herself up for medical school, and meet a good, respectable guy that she’s going to someday marry. What isn’t part of her plan are Jell-O shots, a lovable, party animal roommate she can’t say ‘no’ to, and Ashton, the gorgeous captain of the men’s rowing team. Definitely him. He’s an arrogant ass who makes Livie’s usually non-existent temper flare and everything she doesn’t want in a guy. Worse, he’s best friends and roommates with Connor, who happens to fits Livie’s criteria perfectly. So why does she keep thinking about Ashton?

As Livie finds herself facing mediocre grades, career aspirations she no longer thinks she can handle, and feelings for Ashton that she shouldn’t have, she’s forced to let go of her last promise to her father and, with it, the only identity that she knows.
I started One Tiny Lie with the hope that it would be just as good, if not better than Ten Tiny Breaths. And while it maybe wasn't as good, it was still an awesome read, and I really enjoyed getting to see into Livie's mind. In Ten Tiny Breaths, she was very closed off. She was a loner, but in this one we really get to see her open up and thrive, which I thought was really nice!

Livie was an interesting character for me. I can very rarely identify with very driven characters, so it was kind of a shock for me. But she was just learning who she really is, and that kind of self-discovery in a character always makes me really happy. The only thing that doesn't make me happy about that trope is the fact that it almost always involves a guy. In this instance, though, Livie doesn't really let the guy define her. Her reasons are her own, and I'm so proud of her for her decisions.

On that note, let us talk about the love interest for a bit. Ashton. Oh, how I systematically loath and love you. Why am I capable of both emotions? For one, I loath you because you're a pig. You treat women like trash, like throwaways. I very much don't like that about you. And yet it seems that lots of lovable guy characters do the same?! So I kind of forgive you. A little bit. Because even though you do such terrible things like that, you're still a nice guy when it matters. But this brings me to the next question: Who are you? I really don't think that you know, which is a disappointment. I get that your past was rough, I really do. But I'd like to understand you better. Your closed off personality makes it so hard to get to know you.

Ashton & Livie together was like a power couple. They really seemed to understand each other, but I don't really understand their relationship. I feel like relationship-wise, we should have gotten more development on them. Something to really help us identify with them as a couple and really root for them. As is, I think that they need a little more work in the relationship part. This, however, did not dampen my enjoyment of One Tiny Lie!

This was, in fact, a lighter read than Ten Tiny Breaths, which was actually really nice. I liked the introduction of new secondary characters (Reagan was so fun!), and the new dynamic of the row team boys. Kacey's sense of humor and spunk was still absolutely amazing, and the fact that Kacey & Trent were still thriving together just melted my heart. *happy sigh*

All in all, One Tiny Lie is actually a really good read. I would definitely recommend it for fans of Ten Tiny Breaths!

8 comments:

  1. I completely forgot about this series.O.o First book was okay read for me, nothing special.

    Great review.

    Glass @ Way Too Hot Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't particularly blame you! I forget about series all the time. I'm sorry to hear that the first was nothing special for you. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I plan to read this book for one reason only; the book after that is for a character I really liked in the first book, and I can't read out of order. But for me, Livie was never a character I particularly liked. I hope that while reading this book, that feeling will change.


    Can I just say how much I loved that you talked to Ashton and not about Ashton here? Totally genius Mags! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, well... I don't actually think that they have to be read in order. You could totally skip this one, if you wanted to skip right to FSTL. I always actually liked Livie. She kind of interested me, LOL.


    Haha, thanks. I wasn't sure how that would work, actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am incapable of reading out of order xD It gives me anxiety (yes, I'm weird. But at this point I optimistically think you're probably used to it)
    I think it worked brilliantly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, okay. I don't really understand that. :P I'm used to it, of course! ;) LOL, thanks. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I figured (I mean, you did suggest I skip the book. It's a dead giveaway xDDD)


    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. :P LOL. <3

    ReplyDelete