December 14, 2013

Dead Ends by Erin Jade Lange

Dead Ends
Dead Ends by Erin Jade Lange
Series: N/A
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: September 3, 2013
Dane Washington is one suspension away from expulsion. In a high school full of “haves,” being a “have not” makes Dane feel like life is hurtling toward one big dead end. Billy D. spends his high school days in Special Ed and he’s not exactly a “have” himself. The biggest thing Billy’s missing? His dad. Billy is sure the riddles his father left in an atlas are really clues to finding him again and through a bizarre turn of events, he talks Dane into joining him on the search.
A bully and a boy with Down syndrome makes for an unlikely friendship, but together, they work through the clues, leading to unmarked towns and secrets of the past. But they’re all dead ends. Until the final clue . . . and a secret Billy shouldn’t have been keeping.
As a journalist, Erin Jade Lange is inspired by hot button issues like bullying, but it is her honest characters and breakneck plotting that make Dead Ends a must-read.

In a lot of ways, Dead Ends was exactly what I expected it to be. It was a book about a kid with down syndrome who becomes friends with a bully. I expected that. What I didn't expect was how much I loved said bully.

I really thought that Dane was a good guy. He was really sweet (even if he didn't want to admit it) and to be honest, he was kind of a good person; but that's only if you can let the bullying thing go. And I could, after a while, because it was obviously something that he struggles with. He doesn't exactly want to be who he is. And his relationship with Billy D was very well done - obviously, Billy got on his nerves sometimes, but he never hit him, even if they do fight.

Billy D was a good enough character, but I feel like all of the real development was with Dane. Billy was kind of a side character, I guess, even if he is a big part of the book. Billy was just harder to identify with. He's just so naive and just kind of... he's a kid. I still liked him, though, because he was a bit of a bright spot in Dead Ends.

I also really liked Seely. It was very refreshing to see a tomboy character for once, and I loved that even if her situation is slightly weird, she's very open about it. She's a good person, that's obvious. The biggest thing that Dead Ends has going for it is the characters.

The story was easy to read, and the plot moves quickly... but the characters are where it's at. All in all, Dead Ends was a good read, and I liked it.

16 comments:

  1. This actually sounds pretty good! I might consider reading it now that you pointed my attention in that direction :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it! LOL, I hope that you do! I'd love to see what you think of it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me some time to actually figure out the cover.
    This book sounds nice.I love it when they show the vulnerable side of bullies in books.It makes us fall in love with them despite their attitude.My favourite bully ever is probably Draco Malfoy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, characters! I love the cover and was iffy on the plot, but I'm satisfied that you said the characters are amazing in this. I'll have to get it a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. It's neat, though, isn't it? I like it. :)
    It was a pretty good book, actually! I love when they show vulnerability as well. I HAVE GOTTA READ HARRY POTTER. Because I don't understand any HP references! O.O

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, right?! The cover is amazing. You do need to give it a chance! :) Thanks for commenting, Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU HAVEN'T READ HARRY POTTER?Go do that as soon as you can.It's a must read series in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope. I'm going to eventually, though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope. I'm a sad sad excuse for a book lover, I know. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey,don't feel like that.I haven't still read most of the popular series either.But still,HP is a must,Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL. I'm thinking I'll try to get it from the ebook library - when my sister returns her overdue book... :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that you mention it,I just remembered my overdue library book:)Have to visit the library soon.
    You have an ebook library?That's amazing.How does that work?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahah, I'm good like that. ;) I wish I visited the library more... but I just have so many books already. :/ When I was ten or so, when ever we went I'd get like 25 books. My mom is so glad that I finally figured out how to get books that aren't 30 miles away. ;)


    YES! Well, you have to have a library card, of course, and it's on the internet. My library is part of a big source. (Which is weird, because it's a tiny library.) You log on (with your library card number as your account details, etc), and then you just pick a book that you want to check out. If your library has it... it's sent to your kindle/nook/whatever. :D Cool, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are:)Me too.I love visiting the library but when I think about the amount of books sitting on both my shelf and my kindle,I hold back.Well,mothers never understand the urge:)


    Woah,that's really awesome.I wish we had something like that here.Living here sucks sometimes:(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Teehee. Absolutely - I hold back so much. I'm actually thinking about talking to the librarians about reviews, though. Like, maybe setting up a review type program (talk to a few bloggers about permission to display their reviews next to certain books). I don't know, though. Nope, LOL. My dad was the reader of my parents.


    Aww, I'm sorry, sweetie. You should check into it - I didn't find out through the library... I just googled "my county" ebook library.

    ReplyDelete