December 1, 2013

Scene It Sunday #1 - The Mockingjay Pin


Scene It Sunday is an original feature started by me, here at The Book Babe's Reads. Do you remember that silly game that you used to play when you were younger, Scene It? It was a great trivia game. But let's get to the point... sometimes, I see book to movie adaptions that just leave something vital out. So, I've started a feature where I can showcase the differences that I've noticed. Hence, Scene it Sunday was born! I hope to make this a regular feature, so let me know what you think, and if you've seen something similar to this anywhere!

{Everything in this feature is potentially a spoiler. If you haven't read/watched this, and are planning on it, please skip this.}

The Mockingjay Pin, Book Scene:

"My next guest is also unexpected. Madge walks straight to me. She is not weepy or evasive, instead there's an urgency about her tone that surprises me. "They let you wear one thing from your district in the arena. One thing to remind you of home. Will you wear this?" She holds out the circular gold pin that was on her dress earlier. I hadn't paid much attention to it before, but now I see it's a small bird in flight."


The Mockingjay Pin, Movie Scene:

In the movie, Katniss takes her "kill" (rabbits/birds whatever) to the market, and gives some to an old woman in exchange for something. She sees the pin in a junk tray, asks how much, and the old woman gives it to her. Later in the movie, Katniss gives the pin to Prim, and Prim gives it back to her when she volunteers as tribute in Prim's place.

Honestly, the reason I chose this scene as my first scene it Sunday post because I felt like it was perfect. It's the perfect scene to start my new feature, and only because I have a lot to say about it. I feel like by eliminating the scene with Madge, they kind of messed up a lot of the story arc. Madge is a big secondary character, in my opinion. They kind of gave the pin new meaning by making Katniss just stumble upon it... and now something is just missing! Madge giving Katniss the pin is like the cornerstone of the book - the entire reason of the rebellion hinges on that. Maybe I'm being overdramatic, but for me that was a big scene, and they just chopped it out like it was nothing!

Do you have an opinion on the changing of this scene? Did you like the movie version or the book version better? Vent!
*I don't claim to own the trademark of "Scene it!" nor are they affiliated with me.

8 comments:

  1. This was probably my only disappointment in The Hunger Games. And you're right. It is a big scene and so important but then again I also kinda like that Prim gives it back to her. It also seems to have a lot of meaning. So really it's 50/50 for me.
    Love the new meme! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea.Maybe you should make this a meme.

    I missed Madge in the movie.I've always shipped her with Gale,so when there was so such character in the movie,I was disappointed.And when Katniss received it from her,it actually looked like something she was given by her district.I don't know why they changed the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I love the quote it's the first thing I saw. The design is great I love how endless the stars looks like. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thanks! I'm not sure if I'll have enough material to have it all the time, though!


    I ship her with Gale as well! So much that I actually convinced myself that they got together and then I was corrected by my sister... fantasy is so hard to separate from reality! LOL. I don't know either. I wanted them to keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I actually have a couple more disappointments up my sleeve, but I'm glad that this was your only one! It is sweet that Prim gives it back to her... but I don't know. That scene just kind of lost meaning for me. LOL. Thanks, girly! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to say that the truck is impressive and awesome, especially with your stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the old design, but I love this one, especially the stars and the old, red truck. Gorgeous! :) Thanks for a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blue is such a pretty color

    ReplyDelete