December 4, 2013

Racing Savannah by Miranda Kenneally

Racing Savannah
Racing Savannah by Miranda Kenneally
Series: Hundred Oaks, #4
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Publication Date: December 3, 2013
They’re from two different worlds.

He lives in the estate house, and she spends most of her time in the stables helping her father train horses. In fact, Savannah has always been much more comfortable around horses than boys. Especially boys like Jack Goodwin—cocky, popular and completely out of her league. She knows the rules: no mixing between the staff and the Goodwin family. But Jack has no such boundaries.

With her dream of becoming a horse jockey, Savannah isn’t exactly one to follow the rules either. She’s not going to let someone tell her a girl isn’t tough enough to race. Sure, it’s dangerous. Then again, so is dating Jack…
"It doesn't matter where you dance. It's only who you're with."

I'm going to be really honest here... I don't have a clue in the world about what to say. I love everything that Miranda Kenneally writes, it's a fact. But I loved this one because of the cameos. They're the reason that this book gets me right in the feels, and the reason for my love of this book.

Because honestly? I didn't love Savannah and Jack as a couple. Don't get me wrong, they were adorable... but there were a lot of problems in their relationship. (miscommunication, etc.) I realize that this is a staple to almost every relationship, but it kind of saddened me to see them both getting hurt by it. So maybe I did kind of love them, if I was sad when they got hurt.

Jack was sweet and goofy 99% of the time, but he sometimes upset me. He doesn't always think of Savannah's feelings, and sometimes I just wanted to throttle the boy! Errggghhh he made me so mad! He does some really swoony things, though, so I had to forgive him for that one little slight. Just this time! I do wish that we could have seen more depth in his character - it would have been nice to know more about him.

Savannah was adorable. Just throwing that out there. I do get the impression that she is a younger teen, though, as opposed to an older one. I think she's just innocent. Yep, that's it. She's innocent. I loved the relationships that she had with her friends - they were so cute! I also loved the fact that she liked horses - we don't ever see a horse jockey protagonist in YA! I have to say, though... I don't watch races, so I didn't understand a lot of the jockeying stuff. Just because I don't watch it... doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it! Savannah grew throughout Racing Savannah, and that was so much fun to watch.

I thought that her dad was a little odd, though. He's not that big of a character in the grand scheme of things, but sometimes... I don't know. His sense of humor was really... childish. I'm not sure why a little thing like that bothers me, but it does. In another point in the book, Savannah is told to "forget the horse, ride a cowboy" by one of the other jockeys and nothing is done. I don't care how jokingly that was said, my dad would have been all over it. Again, this is a little thing, and it did not affect my enjoyment of the book overall.

I'm glad to say that Racing Savannah has that trademark Kenneally humor! This is one of the reasons that I love her books - she can write convincing teenagers and convincing dialogue with humor.

I really, really have to say something about the cameos - I am in love with them. There is nothing better than seeing your favorite characters again, even if it's for just a little bit. I will admit that I didn't recognize Will's cameo for a while - until I heard his first and last name together. Then I connected the dots - it went exactly like this: "CORNDOGGGG!" I seriously died of the adorbs right then.

We also get to see appearances by Sam & Jordan, Kate and her boyfriend, and Vanessa Green as Savannah's best friend. It was so awesome! I love how Miranda Kenneally can make all of her main characters crazy different - not one of them is the same.

All in all, Racing Savannah was actually a really good read. I definitely recommend it, especially if you're reading the series already!

12 comments:

  1. Maja (The Nocturnal Library)December 4, 2013 at 4:51 AM

    You're not the first person I've come across who struggled with the romance in this one. I have yet to start this series myself, but I have a feeling I might struggle with it too. Fortunately, there are a few really strong ones before it.
    great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I abandoned this series with the first book-as I do for most series:)-but I think I should continue since the books have great reviews.This books sounds like a cute romance
    Great review Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that, actually! I kind of felt like I was the only one. I don't know - Catching Jordan, the first in the series is amazing. If you read it, I hope you love it! Thanks, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! (I'm really bad about continuing series' too... don't worry about it.) I definitely think that you should continue! I enjoy this series, for sure. It wasn't really a cute romance - I enjoyed the cameos more than the romance, but it was definitely a cute book! Thanks, Mishma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep planing on reading this series... I haven't gotten around to it yet :/ Though hearing how much you love it definitely jumped it up higher on my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I gave Racing Savannah the same rating as you but for the opposite reasons. I really liked Savannah and Jack. I thought they were really swoony together and I couldn't get enough. I usually love Miranda's character cameos, but it felt like a lot, this time around. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing them all and checking up on them, but I felt like I was checking up on a whole lot of characters. Even though not all reappeared, some who did have a cameo were mentioned. By the end, I was like, I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really should.I remember loving the first book and the characters.
    I love cameos,especially when we get glimpses of our favourite characters.It makes us yearn for more scenes of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, you really do need to read it! YAY! I'm glad to hear that it's moved up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, well. I'm glad that you really loved Savannah and Jack together! :) I just love love love a large amount of cameos - it just makes my day. It was a lot of characters, that's for sure. ;) Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I just realized something interesting. Yours are the only reviews I read of books I haven't read yet (we talked about how I don't like to be influenced by other's opinions before reading... but I really like reading your reviews Oo)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww that's so sweet! And awesome! I'm glad that you like my reviews, because I really like yours too! :D *hugs*

    ReplyDelete