December 5, 2013

V is for Virgin by Kelly Oram

V is for Virgin
V is for Virgin by Kelly Oram
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Blue Fields
Publication Date: December 11, 2012
When Val Jensen gets dumped for her decision to stay a virgin until marriage, the nasty breakup goes viral on YouTube, making her the latest internet sensation.

After days of ridicule from her peers, Val starts a school-wide campaign to rally support for her cause. She meant to make a statement, but she never dreamed the entire nation would get caught up in the controversy.

As if becoming nationally recognized as “Virgin Val” isn’t enough, Val’s already hectic life starts to spin wildly out of control when bad boy Kyle Hamilton, lead singer for the hit rock band Tralse, decides to take her abstinence as a personal challenge.

How can a girl stay true to herself when this year’s Sexiest Man Alive is doing everything in his power to win her over?
V is for Virgin didn't make the huge impression on me that I thought it would. I did like it, but it left a little to be desired. To get things straight, I really liked the goal that Val was working towards-- a world where a girl wasn't afraid to be a virgin, or to be abstinent (and she didn't only have girls, there were boys too) without religious reasons. I thought that she was working to make something that was probably very embarrassing to her something good. Which was very selfless of her and all, and I really liked the idea, but I didn't think that the way it was handled was very realistic.

Who knows, maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I think that Val would have been attacked a lot more than verbally. I'm sure that there would be physical attacks too. It's not a pretty thought, but just think about it. A self-professed virgin who becomes famous for being a virgin and supporting the right to be one, while selling lots of jewelry. Doesn't it just sound like she's setting herself up for something bad to happen? I can just imagine. We live in a twisted world.

But back to Val. She was very sweet and kind, but I don't feel like I really got to know her throughout the book. She was really deep, I know that much, but who was she really? I wanted more development on her part, and I had hoped that she would be a stronger character, who I wouldn't doubt. But sometimes, I did doubt her.

Just like I doubted Kyle. At first, he seemed like a really nice, if crude, guy. But as the story progressed, I realized how much of a jerk he could be. I did kind of thing that the blog was sweet, but I also realized how hurtful that must have been for Val, which sucked. Then, when I thought there was going to be a moment of truth and their relationship was going to turn around and be adorable, well, it turns out that Kyle is a huge disappointment in that department. I was lost to him from that point, I tell you.

The storyline was okay, but I wasn't exactly wowed at how it went, unfortunately. It didn't progress very well, and I really don't think that it went anywhere to speak of, except to the end. Which the ending was cute, but still. I was disappointed in the way things went.  It gets three stars for enjoyable reading, though.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry this book did wow you the way you wanted to, but I see how you would think something could happen to the girl for being known as virgin. Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised that it was a disappointment.The blurb sounds so good.In fact I even though of trying out the book myself after reading the blurb.
    However,I think I should trust your decision and stay away from the book:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry too! But yes... I can imagine all kinds of bad things happening to her. It's terrifying! Thanks, Janina!

    ReplyDelete