December 11, 2013

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Series: Starbound, #1
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: December 10, 2013
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.

In all honesty... I don't have a clue in the world about this book. I mean, I read it, and I understood most of it... but... I don't really get it. It's without a doubt one of the most unique books that I've read in a long time, but I just... didn't love it. I liked it, sure, but it mostly left me with feelings of what-the-freckery at the end.

I mean...damn. I guess I'll just start talking now.

I liked the alternating points of view - it was obvious that one of them was a guy and that one of them was a girl throughout the writing; there was no weird moment when I couldn't figure out who was talking, so that was great. I enjoyed that, and I actually liked reading about Tarver and Lilac, although I pretty much abhor their names.

Tarver. What does that even mean?! If someone could tell me if that was a real word... that would be great. Because I surely don't know. Speaking of him, he was so adorable and chivalrous, and Lilac was just so brave! I actually liked her as a heroine, for the most part. She was annoying at first, but her growth throughout the book was great.

I loved the premise - a spaceship crash, with the two lone survivors being on a completely unpopulated planet. That was pretty much awesome - it's not very often that you get to read a book with no supporting characters, so it was an interesting experience.

I also loved the fact that there was a sweet love story - we rarely get to see the adorbs side of love, so that was fabulous. I do think that it took way too long for anything to happen on that front, though, but once it started happening... it was way too fast. It dragged in the beginning, and then they just jumped in. The pacing of it was way weird.

And believe me, the pacing wasn't the only weirdness that was going on. We have everything from weird voices to strange visions to possible alien life. It's a veritable smorgasbord of weirdness! This is where it started to get hazy for me. There comes a point when I start to freak out, and this book totally hit it.

There was just too much going on, with too many crazy plot points. Overall, I only liked this one - no love. But I'd be interested to see where the series goes from here, so there is that!

21 comments:

  1. Loved your review. I've had my eye on this book for a while, but never seem to get to it. Buh. It sounds interesting though. I'd love to find out about all the weirdness. lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I definitely understand that - so many books, so little time! It was definitely... interesting. ;) I can't wait to see what you think! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely see what you're saying with all the weirdness and strange aspects. I personally loved it and all the sci-fi elements and twists. Although when I finished it, I wasn't too sure so it took me forever to write my review. I'm glad you'll read the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I liked the sci-fi elements.... but that bit near the end kind of made me go whhaaa? Haha, I understand that - sometimes reviews are just hard! I'll definitely be reading the sequel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I saw the cover,I fell in love with it.It's so pretty right?
    I haven't read any other books set on the space besides Across the Universe,so maybe I should go check this out.It sounds interesting.But I can understand why you're saying that it's confusing.Too many complicated concepts can ruin a book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually really liked it; definitely unique. It was a bit hard for me to write the review though...
    As for Tarver... time to stalk them baby names books. *everyone stares at me* People, I am not pregnant. Now shush and stop looking at me weirdly. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that you liked it! I agree that it was unique... I just didn't love it, you know? LOL. I don't really want to stalk baby name books. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. " what-the-freckery " <-- I love how I actually and literally laugh out loud when I read your reviews ;)
    Ohh, no supporting characters at all? That would mean Lilac and Tarvor would have to be extra-ordinarily good, for them to carry the whole book on their shoulders.
    ARG - unbalanced pace on the romantic front? *sigh*
    Oh, it's a series? meaning nothing is solved yet, right? Well, then I'll be shelving it on the maybe shelves until the next book comes out, to see if there's any answers there... you know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I wouldn't! LOL. Unless I'm a mom, but I'm too young for that. BAD idea there! :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. Definitely a bad idea! I had to do it once, when I was younger... a friend's mom needed help. NOT FOR ME. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, I'm glad that you laugh out loud! And that is a TRUE statement - I literally thought that.
    There were a few in the beginning... but none after the wreck. They all disappeared! They were... pretty good, but not exactly amazing, if you know what I mean. VERY unbalanced!
    I think that the series is going to move around on characters - I believe. Like, I think that Lilac and Tarver's story is over. O.o I definitely know, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your thought process, then <3
    A standalone series, then?
    Wait, so there is a conclusion and questions are answered at the end, or not?... I'm confused xD


    To be completely honest, the beautiful cover and good reviews make me want to read it, but I'm not the biggest Sci-fi fan, so I'm wary :/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww thanks, girly! <3
    I think so. I'm not for certain, but I believe so. I'll have to do some more research. ;)
    I HAVE NO idea. Like, at all. O.o


    I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi either, to be honest. Maybe take a chance on it, though? Who knows, you might love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, I checked GR and it says it's a standalone series, set in the same world. So this story should be completed. But I get the feeling you didn't get all the answers you needed? Otherwise you wouldn't be confused? The description of the series does say all three books have a common enemy, so perhaps questions from this book will be answered in the next?


    I might, or I might not. At the moment I'm reluctant to add new unread books to my shelves... I'm thinking of a book ban. Like, 2 books a month TOP, and at least one of them has to be a book I already read, so...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nope. I didn't get all the answers that I needed... it was like an unfinished read. Sadly. Maybe they will? It's not necessarily questions (I mean it kind of is), but mostly the idea that it wasn't really finished.


    Haha, I'm thinking of doing a book ban too! I HAVE WAY TOO MANY RIGHT NOW. I think that maybe I won't allow my self to buy any books until I've read a good majority of the ones that I have- we'll see how long that lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I guess will have to wait for the next book to publish to know what's the deal xDD


    I have way too many too! Not long, probably LOL But I'm going to stick to the only 2 books a month. That's my new year resolution. Plus, cleaning my shelves! I want to read at least half of my current books in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess so! :P


    Probably not. I broke it just yesterday, LOL. It's not like it's a bad hobby, you know? That's a good number! I think I'll try to stick to one or two books a month as well. I gotta get to saving up that cash... the future won't pay for itself! I WISH that I could commit to reading half of my current books, LOL. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG LOL YOU'RE HILARIOUS! A day? One day? All it took is one day?? xDDD
    I need to start working... not any time in the next couple of weeks (script writing), but I need work... the only saving grace is that I'll get a salary in the army, meager as it may be, so there's that... *sigh* I'm too lazy for my own good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to know that my lack of self control makes you laugh. OF COURSE ALL IT TOOK IS ONE DAY. Because I'm not good at all of that. LOL.


    You're not lazy. But I'm glad that you're going to at least be getting a salary for your work in the army. It'll be worth something, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anybody's lack of self control is funny, but your especially LOL (especially considering you spent like 350$ and got over 30 books!! #greenwithenvy)


    Yep, it'll be worth something, in addition to protecting my country and all that jazz xD

    ReplyDelete
  21. Why, thank you. I don't know why mine is especially funny, but I shall take it as a compliment. :P (I did! AND I promise to send pictures - I'm still waiting on some of them to come in! :))


    Of course. ;) I implied that. :P

    ReplyDelete