October 7, 2012

You Against Me by Jenny Downham


You Against Me

If someone hurts your sister and you're any kind of man, you seek revenge, right? If your brother's been accused of a terrible crime and you're the main witness, then you banish all doubt and defend him. Isn't that what families do? When Mikey's sister claims a boy assaulted her at a party, his world of work and girls begins to fall apart. When Ellie's brother is charged with the crime, but says he didn't do it, her world of revision, exams and fitting in at a new school begins to unravel. When Mikey and Ellie meet, two worlds collide. Brave and unflinching, this is a novel of extraordinary skillfulness and almost unbearable tension. It's a book about loyalty and the choices that come with it. But above all it's a book about love - for one's family and for another.

My Thoughts/Review:

I never in a million years thought that I would read this book again. But I was reading a gal's book-swap page, and I noticed this one on the list, and I started to think about why I didn't want to read it again. And I could not for the life of me think of the reason why. So I took a chance, and I asked to swap. I'm glad I did.

The characters and the plot are so much better than I remember, and I found myself wishing that I had read it sooner. Because this book deserves to be read, just for one simple reason. Because it is good. 

Mikey and Ellie were both particularly good characters, because the author wrote it out in a way that made you really think about their reasons for doing what they've done. I never even questioned their reasoning, because I just understood. 

Ellie wasn't exactly headstrong, nor was she very crazy/insane/cool. She was actually very studious, and I'm surprised that she was actually in a relationship with Mikey. It seemed a bit out of character for her.

Ok guys, ever read a book that left you at a loss for words? This is one for me. The words aren't flowing like they usually do, and I feel all weird because of it. Maybe you'll just have to go with my star-rating for this one.Because I just usually go with whatever comes to mind, and don't even think before I post. But nothing comes to mind. I am at a loss for words.

stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10
Favorite Quote:
Sometimes, if you want something badly enough, you can make it happen.

16 comments:

  1. I know there have been some mixed reviews for this book but I really enjoyed it too! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read some really mixed ones too! Awesome! (I don't have cookies though. *sigh*)

      Thank you! I thought it was a mediocre review, but I'm super glad you like it! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh, I think I started this one and never finished it. (Which, yes, I know is a punishable crime in the book community. It's hard to admit.) However, from what I read of it, I thought the author did a fantastic job of describing the behaviors of someone who had been through that situation (Karyn, I think her name was. And Mikey, too.) Although, I didn't finish it, so it might be different throughout the rest of the book.

    By the way, 440 followers?!? That. Is. Crazy. Awesome.

    Oh, and I want to apologize. I feel like I must be making your email explode this morning with notifications. So, sorry! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I don't really blame you, because it gets more interesting as it goes along. It doesn't all just hit you in the very beginning, lol. (Punishable? Uh-oh...) She did a terrific job, I thought. Though chances are that the victims brother and the rapist's sister wouldn't get together. I don't know for sure, but I'm kinda just guessing. ;)

      Yeah, I thought that Karyn was handled pretty well too. You see some victim's of rape (in books) losing themselves and sleeping with everyone they see, and then you see victim's like Karyn. I like Karyn better. :D

      I know! I'm so excited! :D :D :D

      (P.S. I count e-mail and GFC together...I have 500 total! *confetti*)

      It's perfectly fine! I love getting comments, lol. And I will drop whatever I'm doing just to go answer a comment. :D

      Delete
    2. Okay, I have to tell you that the reason I stopped reading it was that I'd gotten it as a free e-book from my library, and it takes me years longer to read an e-book than a physical one because I just don't like them (I'm really scared to publicly admit that on a book blog), and it expired before I finished it. So that is my official excuse. ;)

      Yeeaaahh, I don't really see that happening. But that's what books are for: anything can happen!

      Yeah, you go, Karyn! (:

      Woah, 500! *blows one of those little kazoo things they have at birthday parties*

      Delete
    3. I know how you feel! I'm like that with NetGalley. I just can't comfortably read an e-book for very long. Then there are other people who endorse e-books, and are all like, "E-books are the wave of the future! You shall love them!" and I be like, "Whaa--No. Just no. It's fine! (<--See? I just publicly admitted it too. Don't hate on us, e-book readers! But feel free to join the discussion about e-books, if you wish!)

      Haha, mine expire all the time.

      *Happy dance* Like a magical sparkling vampire! (<--Lol. I couldn't help it.) Anyways, it was a pretty dang good book. ;)

      Go Karyn, Go Karyn! :D

      I know! *Excited!* (I don't know what they call those kazoo things either, but beautiful performance! Great tone! Smooth finish! LOL.)

      Delete
    4. Yeah, that's my one pet peeve with NetGalley. I absolutely love the service...except that it's completely centered around a format I don't really like.

      Good idea with the anti-e-book disclaimer you just did for us there. xD

      Yes, those are definitely a species found ONLY in the world of books. They can't all be winners. ;)

      You're hilarious. xD

      Delete
    5. It's one of those things...should I just wait til the book comes out? Usually wins. :)

      Haha, we shall not be hunted down on my watch. *Disclaimer*

      I know! And I'm so glad...who knows how long I could get away with calling them fairies? I mean, they sparkle, right? My inner snarky appears to have come out, lol.

      Thank you. :D

      Delete
    6. Yeah, you better watch out, people. She's seen X-Men movies and guys getting their head chopped off. Don't mess with her. xD

      Hahaha, no, if it sparkles, it definitely can be classified as a fairy. If the shoe fits... ;)

      Delete
    7. Haha! I shall tweet at you! I like X-men. :)

      Yay! Classification 101 for Cheyenne: if it sparkles, it definitely can be classified as a fairy. That, my friends, is a completely true statement. This has got to be the longest comment conversation ever. :D

      Delete
    8. Hooray!

      Hahaha, classification for all things YA done by Meg and Chey, at no charge to you. I can see it going somewhere.

      I know, my web browser had a heart attack trying to load this page. ;)

      Delete
    9. Haha, I can too. We shall classify WoW, IMM, and all things book blogging! We're here every week, ya'll!

      Haha, that's why I love google chrome. :D

      Delete
    10. Hahaha, tune in next random 10-comment-long conversation!

      I'm using Google Chrome too! It must be my computer. *stares disapprovingly at computer*

      Delete
    11. Definitely! *I know the feeling*

      Delete
  3. This is my all time favorite book! I even got my best friend to buy this and read it herself.

    You might have already guessed that I'm running around and stalking your posts :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I really liked it too-- I think I've read it twice now? LOL, I actually hadn't. ;D

      Delete