October 2, 2012

Guardian(Halflings #2) by Heather Burch


Guardian (Halflings, #2) 
Vigilance. The mission to safeguard Nikki Youngblood depends on the fragile alliance of two half-angel, half-human guardians, both struggling with intense feelings for the girl who has been assigned to their care. Mace, steadfast and deeply in love, wants to protect Nikki at all costs, while Raven's loyalty to Nikki finds him advocating for her independence and battling his own darker inclinations. At the same time, Nikki finds it harder and harder to choose between the two heavenly beings she may never have. Dangers intensify, and tensions between Mace and Raven flare as the purpose of their mission becomes clear. Can their defenses hold up to master manipulator Damon Vessler and the powerful secret he holds regarding Nikki's heritage? Can anyone protect Nikki from her true purpose and destiny?

Buy from The Book Depository <--and support future giveaways on this blog!

My Thoughts/Review:

NOOO! I really don't understand why authors think that they need to end everyone of their books with cliff-hangers. It just freaking kills me. They end with a cliff-hanger, and then I have to wait 6 months to 3 years to figure out what happens. So, if you haven't guessed, this book ends on a cliff-hanger.

And I hate it when that happens, because, as I've said before, I have to wait to read about what happens. I guess I'm just more of a standalone kind of girl.

I, for one, think that this series has a serious future, based on the success of the 'Hush, Hush' saga. Nikki isn't similar to the the lead in Hush, Hush, but you know, angels and all that make them similar.

Nikki is headstrong, and full of life and vitality. That is, until the world hits her in a way that she can't recover from. In a way that makes her depressed all the time, and makes her think that she's never worthy of anything that she wants, or needs. She is absolutely beaten down, and it makes her completely different than she was in the last book. In the last book, she was actually kind of annoying, because she wants Mace, then she wants Raven, then she wants Mace. I hate it when a character jumps around, saying that she loves them both, but she can't choose.

She was a little bit like that still, but not near as much. I guess she decided that she was going to try and be faithful to Mace, but she still has time to re-evaluate. I guess that series like this thrive off of love triangles, but sometimes it gets a little old, jumping back and forth from one team to another. And with this series, I can't decide who's team I'm on! Urghh. It's driving me insane.

I guess I can understand that a girl can love two guys at once, but I would say that you can only love love one of them.

I thought that Raven seemed just a little dramatic, instead of the angsty, sorrowful boy that I know the author was going for, and he honestly seems like he's trying to hard to be bad. Mace was still a sweetheart, a protector, and an all around good guy, but I think that he has a little bit of fight running through his veins, based on his character traits.

All in all, I liked this book, and it was fairly good, but we'll have to see where the series goes from here before I make a final decision.

*This book was provided by Netgalley for review.

♠♠♠
Favorite Quote:
A thousand Epic quotes were within this novel, but it won't be released until.......
October 9, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment