October 31, 2012

Haunted Week: Beware of Movie Review

{This Girl Reads}
To finish off a week of spook-tastic fun, review a scary story of your choice! Well, in my case, it'll be a movie! :D



My Thoughts/Review:

So, first I'd like to say how freaking awesome Haunted Week has been--I've met several new and awesome bloggers, I've had a lot of fun commenting on other bloggers's posts, and overall, it's just been a wicked awesome week. Now, today we're supposed to review a horror book, but I got permission from Chey to review a movie--Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. It seems appropriate, doesn't it? ;)

Now, since this is my first movie review (and maybe my only), I may add a ton of un-needed stuff. Feel free to skip over bits!

First of all, I thought that Benjamin Walker was perfect as Abe! He was just common enough to pass, and he looked like a pretty tall guy. It may have just been the camera angles, but to me, he looked like one big boy. A beanpole, but tall. Now--in the movie, when he got older, I really don't think that the beard suited him. Because with the make-up they put on him to make him look old, it just...looked funny.

The guy that played Henry Sturgis was perfect for his part too--he definitely made me think debonair. Very sophisticated gentleman. Mary Todd--seemed to be perfect for the part, but I never really thought about her when I was reading the book, so I really couldn't tell you.

It definitely deviated from the original book's plot though. Abe and Mary only have one son instead of two, Abe's vampire hunting career isn't as capitalized upon--his kill numbers definitely went down, but the only other thing that really bothered me about this movie was the over-kill action scenes. Don't get me wrong, there was definitely some seriously epic stuff going on, but--I could do with out the overly animated scenes. The horses in the horse scene didn't look real (I can't even remember if that happened in the book or not...).

The train scene was a bit much too, but the vampires were PERFECT. They were gruesome, all the nerves in their skin stood out--their jaws totally did unhinge, and all the fluids in their faces all...drip. Drip. It was totally gross, but I think the animators need some extreme applause for some of that. It definitely made it cooler when they got beheaded...LOL.

All in all, I enjoyed Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, but I was kind of sad that the action scenes looked overkill, and I wasn't happy with the ending. The narration in the beginning was pretty good though. You can see a spoiler if you highlight in between the brackets! {Abraham Lincoln doesn't become a vampire!!!}

  stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10

4 comments:

  1. Sounds down right terrifying to me! =O EEEP! Glad you semi-enjoyed it thought ;) I love how you had the hidden spoiler at the end. Very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I guess it would sound that way--I shrieked once, when something jumped out, but it's okay because my sister did too. ;) I did enjoy it! I was just upset that they didn't do it exactly like the book--which even I know is impossible. *le sigh* Thanks! ;D

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I just love all you bloggers so much. *BBBF hug*

    *Ahem* But anyways—This. Movie. Sounds. So. Good. Should I read the book first? Or is the movie great enough to stand on its own? I'm so on the fence about which order to read/watch them in. #booknerdproblems

    Oh look, I'm hashtagging in comments now. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It was totally awesome Chey! *BBBF hug back*

      I totally loved this movie, but I would totally recommend reading the book first--I'm just like that. It would make sense if you didn't read the book, but it was cool--except for that spoilerish part that I won't reveal to you.

      Hashtags make everything better, Chey. #ihavethoseproblemstoo

      Delete