October 14, 2012

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2) by Cassandra Clare


City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?


My Thoughts/Review:

Ooh, book ends on cliffhanger. Megan--"No!! Why must authors do this to me!" *collapses on floor sobbing*

Because I'm a crazy person, I've been re-reading the Mortal Instruments series, in preparation for the last book's release. And I'm finding that while I like them, they're not enough to have me tearing through the pages like a mad-woman, barely being able to keep track of my thoughts. I actually find this series to be kind of slow. The events are spread out, and it's kind of killing me. This one was a faster read than the last one, (because it had more things going on) but it's still mercilessly slow.

 I know that so many people love this series, but I just...don't. I like it. Like is not affiliated with Love. I love books, but I only like this one. *My rant of like is over now.*

So...where to start. Honestly, I thought that Jace really grew in this one, because in the first one, everything just kind of rolls off his back, and seems unaffected by anything. I'm glad that we finally get to see some emotion from him. (Other than sarcasm. Sarcasm is an emotion, right?) I was so excited when we actually got some real Jace scenes! I know that there's a reason why everything rolls off his back, but I like seeing his outer shell crack. ;)

Now. Clary. Where can I start with her? I really don't understand her character at all! Sometimes she seems so tough and ready to take on the world, and then, BAM. She's curled up in the fetal position in one corner crying and whining. I know, I know. She's a YA character. It's expected. But I can't help but wish that she was more tough on the inside.

Overall, I thought that this book was better than the last one, (event-wise, character development) but I just don't love this series. It's official now. I'm in a reading slump. :(

  stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10
Favorite Quote:
"It's not just that someone belongs to you, it's that you give yourself to them. I doubt you've ever given anything to anyone. Except for maybe nightmares."

6 comments:

  1. I agree COMPLETELY! I definitely enjoyed your thoughts on this :)

    - Ellie @ The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad someone else agrees with me! Thank you. I enjoyed reading your comment. ^.^

      Delete
  2. Awe, I still love this series. Although, honestly, I read them so long ago that I can't separate the events into books anymore—it's just all one long string of demon hunting awesomeness. Maybe I need to reread them. Pretty much my only complaint was Clary. Gosh, I just don't like her! She's so aggravating sometimes, especially in the later books. Urgh. <- That's a word, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's great! I just don't. :(

      I remember when they were like that for me...I should've just let them lie. But I didn't. I'll probably still read them all though. (You should!) Clary...not my favorite, unfortunately. If you're like me, you really like Jace, Simon, Isabelle, and (dare I say it?) Magnus. ;)

      Well, I like her all right, but as I've stated, she's not my favorite, lol. Really? *plans for future books reading rants* Yes! That is a word, lol. I believe it's only proper use is when talking about books. ;)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'm always terrified of rereading books and realizing they're not as amazing as I remembered them to be. Like, deadly terrified.

      And Alec! I adore Alec. (Yeah, I know he's gay. We're still getting married. ;) )

      Delete
    3. Amen! LOL. I have a few that I can read over and over, but mostly, I get tired of books eventually. ;)

      (He's gay. But you can marry him if you wish! ;))

      Delete