October 20, 2012

Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally + Author Guest Post: Peanut Gallery


Stealing Parker
Red-hot author Miranda Kenneally hits one out of the park in this return to Catching Jordan's Hundred Oaks High.

After her family's scandal rocks their conservative small town, 17-year-old Parker Shelton goes overboard trying to prove that she won't turn out like her mother: a lesbian. The all-star third-baseman quits the softball team, drops 20 pounds and starts making out with guys--a lot. But hitting on the hot new assistant baseball coach might be taking it a step too far...especially when he starts flirting back.


My Thoughts/Review:

When I started this novel, I was a tad bit worried, thinking that there was absolutely no way that Stealing Parker would be as good as Catching Jordan. In a way, I was right, but I was also wrong. It will never be as good as Catching Jordan in my book, because the characters are different, the story is different, and the prime focus isn't football. But this book had it's own charm, that I loved just as much.

For one, I just liked reading about Parker. She was a spunky heroine, with an absolutely unique voice. I liked the way that she let out her feelings, (by writing a note and then burning it) because it seemed so...unique, and it helped the story-line by adding tidbits of her life before, making it easier to understand why Parker is the way she is.

But I thought that Brian was a total jerk. I don't understand why Parker thought he was swoon-worthy, or why she thought that he was perfect. He. Was. A. Total. Jerk. I mean, seriously. What kind of a 23 year-old man flirts with a 17 year old girl? He's a completely pervy jerk. And she acts like he hung the stars. Grrr.

Corndog...where to start? I found him to be a sweet, funny, well-developed character, and just the kind of character that you want to give a huge hug to, ya know? The kind that you would love to hang out with, and just get to know.

All in all, I enjoyed Stealing Parker, but it just didn't have the humor, or the complete swoonish-ness that Catching Jordan had. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, just not as much. I think it's because I miss Henry and Jordan. Cameo appearances are not enough for me! *Goes and reads Catching Jordan again*

stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10
*Guest Post*
Miranda Kenneally


Growing up in Tennessee, Miranda Kenneally dreamed of becoming an Atlanta Brave, a country singer (cliché!), or a UN interpreter. Instead she writes, and works for the State Department in Washington, D.C., where George W. Bush once used her shoulder as an armrest. Miranda loves Twitter, Star Trek and her husband.



Peanut Gallery: Where does Miranda get her inspiration? Find out as Miranda speaks about her idea origins. As a bonus, Miranda shares the best advice that she ever got about being a writer.

Geez, this is a pretty hard question. I get my inspiration from all over the place. From conversations I have with friends and people at work. From inside jokes with my husband. I read lots of books, and see how my favorite authors write plot arcs and characterization, and then I set out to do that too, but with my own edge. I often look through my junior and high school yearbooks to remind myself of how I felt when I was younger. I also like to read my old diaries. One time I got a book idea from a true fact under a snapple lid. Another time I got a book idea because somebody had broken into my car!
I got the idea for the "Jerry Rice fake baby home ec" project in Catching Jordan because I remembered this time I was out on the football field in junior high, and a football player was pushing another player around in a stroller.
The Best advice I ever got as a writer?
--An editor told me my strongest skill as an author is writing groups of teens goofing off and talking about nothing, so now I try to have my characters bantering while doing lots of wild and wacky things while trying to move the plot forward. And I have a great time doing it! I try to write silly scenes that I hope people will enjoy reading.
Hey guys, comment and give Miranda (or me) some love!

This post is a part of:
Thanks to Sourcebooks for allowing me to be a part of it! :D

2 comments:

  1. Megan, honey. How did I not know about this blog sooner? It's beautiful. I'm your newest follower. :)

    Miranda Kenneally seems to be a really popular author and it makes me anxious to read something of hers! It sounds like her writing's beautiful. Lovely review and guest post! :)

    Aa'Ishah @ Reading Under the Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't know, but I'm glad you found me! Thanks. ^.^

      She's a super popular author! I loved Catching Jordan the most! (As you can tell by my review.) Her writing is hilarious! Like real teen life, mixed up together with a bunch hilarious mis-haps. ;)

      Thanks! :D

      Delete