October 27, 2012

Haunted Week: Back From the Grave

{This Girl Reads}

Get ready to dig up your past and bring some of your old friends back to life: Today feature five books you read and loved as a kid.

Ooh, where can I start? I've always been a big reader, so when I started this blog it was like a dream come true! So, get ready to see some of the books that I read and loved as a kid! (Do series count? Let's pretend they do.)


 1.  The Nancy Drew Series by Carolyn Keene: Well, for this post, there will not be pictures. Sorry, guys, but I don't think that all of Carolyn Keene's work would fit on one page. So, here we are. I always loved Nancy Drew when I was younger, and I totally wanted to be like her. (A girl detective. Is that not the coolest thing ever?) But then, when I got older, I realized that even though I loved the books, they were all the same, and I could predict what would happen. So I stopped reading them. (Not that it mattered, I'd read them all by then.)

2.  The Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborne: Yes, I loved these kids and their magical adventures. I wanted to be able to go with them, on all of their adventures. (Camelot, anyone?) My favorite thing about these books was the facts. When you read a book about pirates, you want to know about the famous ones, correct? Well, in the middle of these books, there was the coolest ever fact pages, and I just loved them!

3. The Secrets of Droon series by Tony Abbott: I so, so wanted to meet those little purple pillow guys! And to walk down the staircase, into the fantasy world of Droon....just...promise me you'll make your kids read these? The most perfect fantasy EVER.

4. The Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke: I wasn't that young when I read these, but I think Farrid was probably my first book crush....*blushes* But it's okay, cause my best friend, the one that got me to read them, totally had it bad for him too. Everytime I watch the movie though....just....GRRR. Dustfinger, Meg, Farrid...they're all wrong! I didn't picture Brendan Fraser as Mo either, because every time I think of him, what comes to mind? Dudley Do Right. Yep. Slapstick comedy at it's best, y'all.

5. The Babysitters Club series by Ann M. Martin: Show me a girl that didn't love these books, and I'll show you a girl that never read them. Seriously. I think the reason I liked these books was because when I read them, they made me feel grown up. *as she snickers at her own immaturity*

So, did you love any of these books? Are you the *famed* hater of The Babysitter's Club? Well what did you read then? Drop me a comment! :D

10 comments:

  1. Ahh, Nancy Drew! The Magic Treehouse! Inkheart! I read those all! ♥ I actually read Inkheart when I wasn't that young too. I'd tried reading it once, and thought it was absolutely boring, but when I read it when I was older, I just loved it. (:

    Haha, Dudley Do Right. This is a totally random question, but have you ever seen the movie Support Your Local Sheriff? (I think we've always had those two movies sitting next to each other at my house so I think of them together.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! It was my best friend who got me started on Inkheart, so I was probably about 12 when I read it, so there's that...I read Reckless by Cornelia Funke, and the Thief Lord...and her Dragon Rider book! I love her writings! :D

      YES! I have! We have that movie too, and it's hilarious! Is your family into the westerns too? Man, nobody ever watches them anymore...my favorites were always 'Silverado' and 'The Sacketts'. Totally random question...have you ever seen the Frisco Kid? With Harrison Ford?

      That's too cool. ;F

      Delete
    2. I haven't read anything else by Cornelia Funke—I've always meant to, though!

      Oh my gosh, I can't believe you've seen that too! It's so random! I love it so much. My family has the most random taste in movies, so there's a chance someone in my family has seen pretty much any type of movie.

      No, I haven't! Is it as good as Support Your Local Sheriff? ;)

      Delete
    3. Awe, we can't bookishly talk about Ms. Funke then...

      I have! My family does too! We have everything from gangster movies to those old classic cartoons! (Ever watched Bambi meets Godzilla? *shudder*)

      It was my favorite when I was younger! :D

      Delete
  2. I had totally forgotten about The Secrets of Droon!! =) And who didn't want to be Nancy Drew when they were younger?! I know I did. Great list Megan! I've read all of these except for Inkheart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Another blogger who's read them. I think these books deserve more recognition. :) (I don't know, but if you find them, tell them that I wanna talk to 'em!) Thanks! Inkheart was one of my favorites--you should read it! :D

      Delete
  3. I didn't even think about posting Nancy Drew! The Magic Treehouse was another one of my favorites, and Inkheart too! Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I love how all bookish people think alike, lol. Maybe all the non-bookish people just didn't read the right books when they were younger! :D

      Delete
  4. I definitely remember The Magic Treehouse series! And Nancy Drew! Wow, I feel so old. I still haven't read Inkheart yet, but I'm getting to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I felt epically old when writing this post! Inkheart is AWESOME. I love that series--my best friend made me read them. :)

      Delete