October 9, 2012

Tempest (Tempest #1) by Julie Cross


Tempest (Tempest, #1)


The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.


My Thoughts/Review:

First off, I have wanted to read this book since it came out. So,  I swapped someone for it, then I read it. But I just have some questions...why was this book supposed to be 'so big' with a Summit entertainment movie optioned, and a 250, 000 first edition printing, but I've never read any reviews on it, or heard anything about it other than, "It's about time-travelers.".  I really would like to know. Why did a book that was optioned to be so big just kind of fail?

I'll tell you why. It gives people headaches. My head is absolutely pounding right now. Like Boom Boom Boom, Ouch. It's pounding because it's science-fiction/spy...which seriously doesn't make sense to me. The action was a little too fast--it had me skimming pages--and the science-fiction was just a tad bit too sciency. Don't get me wrong, I love the occasional sci-fi book, but I'd like to be able to understand what they're talking about. Otherwise, it just goes over my head.

And I wanted so bad to be able to understand this one, but it was just too much. I apologize to the author. I really wanted to like it. I really did. But I couldn't. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, just...my head hurts so much right now.

It's not that the characters were bad, it's not that the plot was bad, it's just that the book had an overall undecided feel. I could see where this book would be a good movie, and it would probably remind me of Inception (which I love). But what works in movies can never work in books. This book just left me un-fulfilled, and at the risk of book-bashing, I can't say more.

  stars-desi-glitters-10stars-desi-glitters-10

Have you read Tempest, or seen Inception? What did you think? Tell me in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. Tempest was one of the books I was really looking forward to this year and I was also disappointed. I actually thought the time travel stuff was incredibly compelling. There was alot of potential there with the mythology. However, I did not *get* the love story. Jackson basically does everything for Holly and I just kinda hate their relationship. I thought the scenes with his sister were way more compelling. I'm still going to read Vortex though when it comes out just to see if it'll get any better. Maybe the first book was just rough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking forward to it so much too! The time-travel was a bit interesting, but I just couldn't...it was really confusing. I don't why, but I absolutely never would've been able to keep up if it weren't for the date headers (which truth be told, I hated, and skipped several of them). There was basically no love story. There wouldn't have been a book without the story they tried to pass off as love, but it would've been better without it, in my opinion. I know! I really had to figure out about his sister. She also says that one thing in the hospital scene--"I always come visit you."--and I was like...What? I'll probably read Vortex too, just to see if it's a train-wreck. Maybe it's just this one.

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete