November 20, 2013

Time After Time by Tamara Ireland Stone

Time After Time (Time Between Us, #2)
Time After Time by Tamara Ireland Stone
Series: Time Between Us, #2
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: October 8, 2013
Calling Anna and Bennett’s romance long distance is an understatement: she’s from 1995 Chicago and he’s a time traveler from 2012 San Francisco. The two of them never should have met, but they did. They fell in love, even though they knew they shouldn't. And they found a way to stay together, against all odds.

It’s not a perfect arrangement, though, with Bennett unable to stay in the past for more than brief visits, skipping out on big chunks of his present in order to be with Anna in hers. They each are confident that they’ll find a way to make things work...until Bennett witnesses a single event he never should have seen (and certainly never expected to). Will the decisions he makes from that point on cement a future he doesn't want?

Told from Bennett’s point of view, Time After Time will satisfy readers looking for a fresh, exciting, and beautifully-written love story, both those who are eager to find out what’s next for Time Between Us's Anna and Bennett and those discovering their story for the first time.

I remember when I read Time Between Us, I thought it was a pretty good read. I liked it, I liked Anna and Bennett, but I thought that it was a little cliched. I still ended up giving it four stars, though.

Time After Time was a completely different experience for me. I just couldn't shake the thought, throughout the book, that Anna and Bennett just shouldn't be together. They're from completely different worlds! They'd never really be able to keep up an actual relationship - I mean, they could never live together or get married and have kids, because Bennett doesn't belong in 1995, and Anna can't go to 2012. All that they're doing is causing a whole bunch of heartache for themselves.

So really, I couldn't fall for them as a couple. Several times I just wanted Anna and Bennett to let each other go, to just live in the moment. I found myself not wanting them to work out.

I had to push myself through parts of this book, because I felt like the plot just moved so slow! There was a definite bumpedita theme going on here, and the fact remains that the romance just wasn't working for me. The next thing that bothered me was the time travel - I loved it in the first book, I really did.

But in this one, I kept questioning it and everything that Bennett did with it. I couldn't help but think about the fact that he has inadvertently caused a lot of the things that shouldn't have happened. He's messed up a lot of stories, that's for sure.

All in all, Time After Time just wasn't for me. The time travel just didn't work, and I found myself hoping that the lead couple would just break it off.

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I loved the first one and while I still want to read this one, I think I'll feel the same dreaded feeling that the couple should not stay together. And that's no fun. Sorry it didn't work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then maybe I should stay out of the second book.I hate it when the ruin the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe. But who knows, maybe you'll love it! :)

    ReplyDelete