November 21, 2013

Between You and Me by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus

Between You and Me
Between You and Me by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus
Series: N/A
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Washington Square Press
Publication Date: June 4, 2013
Growing up in small-town Oklahoma, cousins Logan and Kelsey Wade were raised like sisters. Rarely separated, they became each other’s lifelines, escaping into the small joys of childhood to survive the increasing chaos in their family. Then one day Logan woke up and Kelsey and her parents were gone.

Years later, Kelsey has been propelled by her relentless parents to mega-stardom, her voice a radio fixture and her face on billboards worldwide. Meanwhile, Logan is trying to carve out her own life in New York City despite the constant reminders of her cousin’s absence. Though she has long since stopped trying to solve the mystery of their last hours together, the inexplicably fractured memories haunt her.

Then on Logan’s twenty-seventh birthday, she gets the call that she’s been longing for—and dreading. Before she can second-guess herself, she’s on a plane to L.A. to reunite with Kelsey and the parents who ripped them apart, but Logan will soon learn that some family secrets are kept hidden for a reason.
Honestly, the most that I took away from Between You and Me was the fact that I didn't particularly like it. Sadness doesn't even begin to describe how I felt about the familial relationships in this book - it doesn't even begin to cover it at all. I can't imagine having a family that only wanted you because of what you could do for them, which is what Kelsey has. And to tell you the truth, I feel so so bad for her, and I don't even really know how she feels about it - because her cousin Logan is the main character, and there are no alternating points of view.

Logan runs the show, and to be honest I really didn't like Logan. Not to say that she was unfeeling or anything... but girl was a little cold! Not to mention the fact that she had terrible taste in men, only thought about herself, and completely abandoned her immediate family... let's just say that we wouldn't get along.

I just didn't like her. On top of being unfeeling and cold, she was also incredibly dense. Like the kind where you just want to be able to hit them over the head with information - that's how I felt about her.

To make matters worse, I really couldn't follow along with the story very well. There was a lot of skipping around, coupled with unneeded drama. There's no scene where Logan gets hired to be Kelsey's assistant - first few chapters she's just staying there, and the suddenly she's the assistant. I don't understand how we made the jump, honestly. The "fractured memories" didn't even come up until 3/4 through the book, and it was just for added drama. It didn't add to the story in any way - in my opinion, of course.

I feel so much for Kelsey for some reason, but I can also say that I don't particularly care for her personality. She does what she's told, and anything that she does by herself is remarkably immature, because she's been sheltered for most of her life. She behaves like a teenager. Her problems & quasi relationship with Aaron do not bring that up. She still behaves like a teenager. She lets her parents control her without ever fighting for it - and they suck. They push her so hard. So hard. Everything has to be perfect, and if you're sick it doesn't matter sweetie... we've got you covered. This girl is on stage 24/7, and it's obvious that it's starting to wear on her. The more the book progressed, the more I just felt horrible for Kelsey - who is, again, not our main character.

The ending was terrible too - nothing was resolved, and that was what I was counting on. Now I still have no idea what happened, and to be honest I don't really care anymore. It just... ended. All in all, I really didn't enjoy Between You and Me. I would recommend giving it a shot if you enjoyed The Nanny Diaries.

10 comments:

  1. It was awful for her. Poor girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sorry to hear that you didn't connect with the main character or like this one as much as you wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is waiting for me on my Kindle. I wanted to read it because of the pretty pretty cover and the description, but now that I read your review... I'm not so sure anymore. I absolutely hate insta-love, and under-developed characters are a big no-no for me. I'll see if I have time to get to it, but if I don't... I guess it's not such a great loss anyway. Thanks for the honest review!

    Oana @All Fantasy Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww that's disappointing! Sorry to hear you had such a struggle going through it. :( I feel so awful for Kelsey just through your review. I've never read the Nanny Diaries but I did enjoy the movie. Thanks for the honest review lovely, I think I'll be staying far away from this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try not give up books that are dragging,but I can't help it.Reading those kind of books is pure torture:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I'm sorry to make you doubt! Who knows, though, maybe you'll like it! Those are just killers for me too. Thanks for reading it, girly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have, actually LOL
    I still think I won't be able to hold my curiosity about popular books, even if they sound like the last thing I like, or if the cover is awful. I just have to know what the big deal is about, you know?...


    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just can't... let myself, I guess. I wish I could, it would make things so much easier! LOL, yes it is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really? Must we go through the torture of reading books without pretty covers again? LOL. :P
    I know exactly what you mean. Books that I'm not even really interested in will make it on to my TBR if I see a lot of reviews for them! ;)


    <33

    ReplyDelete