November 25, 2013

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Raven Cycle, #2
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: September 17, 2013
Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same.

Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life.

Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...
Ronan Lynch lived with every sort of secret. His first secret was himself. He was brother to a liar and brother to an angel, son of a dream and son of a dreamer.

The Raven Boys was one of my favorite reads of 2012 - but for some reason, I was just dragging butt on this one. I had it, but I was waiting until I was "in the mood" for it. Thanks to Nitzan from Drugs Called Books, I read this much sooner than I would have if left to my own devices, because she made me re-read the end of The Raven Boys. So thanks for that, girly!

I don't know if y'all know this, but The Dream Thieves is told through Ronan's point of view, with select chapters from other characters. I quite enjoyed Ronan, because A) I have a huge book crush on him, and B) I can relate to a lot of the things that he does, even if I can't relate to others. He can do something totally awesome, *hint hint dreams* and he actually does care for people behind that tough facade. He may seem like a jerk, but trust me he's not. Really.

Adam was still kind of closed off and slightly awkward in this one - I don't really think that he truly understands what he's done via the ley line. (To tell you the truth, I only just figured it out myself!) I feel that maybe Adam was a little stifled - they're all watching him very closely, so they can make sure that nothing bad happens to him.

Noah wasn't in this one as much as he was in the first book. I'm not sure why, but in the long run it didn't really bother me, because whenever he was there he was welcomed. He does something so sweet and hilariously cute, though. You don't even know! I laughed. But it was still so cute!

Blue stayed as complicated as she was in the first book, but I think that there was some development on her part - she kind of seems sweeter and more light to me? I'm not sure why. I do sometimes think that she's awfully dense, though. Hopefully there's a future for her and Gansey, because I just really want them to be together.

Speaking of Gansey, I still have a crush on him. He's such a nerd, but I think that we would get along. How is it that someone so quirky can survive with a political mother, though? I would think that his creativity would have died long ago...

The character relationships were pretty much amazing. I love everyone's interactions together, and I especially love the fact that in the alternating points of view, they think about each other. It's not like they ignore their existence when they're away - they think of each other even then. They think of how things will impact their group, and even if they make the mistake of doing it anyway... well, they thought about it, and I'm proud of that development in them all.

This is kind of off-subject, but I sometimes wonder if Blue's family is a representation of the three fates from Greek mythology, or maybe just based off of them? Because that would be so cool! (And weird! But mostly cool!)

There are several twist to this new installment of The Raven Cycle, but I can't reveal them because of spoilers! Just know that I'm proud of Blue and I'm also proud of Ronan. I never saw a lot of those twists coming, and they handled them well. All in all, I really enjoyed this one. I have high hopes for the next read in this series!

6 comments:

  1. Maja (The Nocturnal Library)November 25, 2013 at 1:34 AM

    I just finished this yesterday and I'm more in love with this series than I ever was. Like you, I waited so long to read it, even though I had my hardcover from day 1, but now that I have, I guess I just needed to wait for the right time.
    Gansey remains my favorite, but oh, poor Ronan, he broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm so glad that you read it! :D LOL, I agree - I am more in love with it now. :) The right time is everything, right? ;) I love love love Ronan. I also love Gansey, though. ;) Thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book still. I loved The Raven Boys and ironically, I'm afraid to read this one because it might not live up to the first book. I think I'm going to re-read The Raven Boys first, because I'm a little sketchy on the details after a year...plus, it was a really awesome book. Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that feeling well, although I do have to say that it sucks as a feeling. LOL. Definitely do that! I only re-read the ending, and I was a little confused sometimes. Thanks, Lizzy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gansey is my book crush for this series. He is just so. I don't even know the best word for him. He is the guy who is there for everyone but no one is ever really there for him. He is their rock yet half the time he is falling apart. I was really sad about the fact that Noah wasn't there actually :P I have a crush on him as well. He is just so sweet and gahh. :P I'll stop before I pour out all of my fangirly feels.


    I actually saw Ronan's twist coming :P I figured it out in the last book and I was just so HAPPY I was right. I thought I was being delusional :P


    I have some theories of my own as well about what might happen (about the king and Blue's father)


    Great Review Megan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, he was my crush in the first book, but I definitely moved to Ronan in this one! Your fangirly feels are always welcome here, Razzy! And you're right, Gansey and Noah both are adorable sweethearts. I like them! ;)


    Haha, well, I kind of did too... but I still loved the twist. :) You're not delusional!! I'm interested about that as well... theories are always fun! :D Thanks, Razzy! :D

    ReplyDelete