November 1, 2013

Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1)
Enchanted by Alethea Kontis
Series: Woodcutter Sisters, #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Publication Date: May 8, 2012
It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past - and hers?
I honestly think that I may have waited a bit too long to review Enchanted, but hey. Whatever, right? Anywho, when Enchanted started off, I was really excited about it! Another fairytale retelling, woohoo! But then, well, it became another fairytale retelling. Which...wasn't all that awesome, although this was still an enjoyable story. I liked the take on most fairytales being linked to the same family (they have all kinds linked to them. You don't even know), but I felt like everyone else was most of the story.

There was way too many unneeded details, like how stylish and fancy and whatever some random person's dress was, as well as the fact that the evil godmother that cursed so-and-so was the good godmother's sister who was related to Sunday's mom who was a magical person in her own right...it's like, I don't know. I just felt like I didn't need all of those little connections. It was neat, sure. But it overpowered the story in it's own right.

It almost crossed the line into way weird, but I think it strayed back enough to be alright. But you'd think after all the connections of the fairytales...well, that the story of Sunday and Rumbold would have been cooler. And it was okay, I just...I felt like there was no real reason for it. What use is it finding your soulmate (after losing him) if you don't even recognize his personality/soul? I don't understand, you know?

I liked the spin, and the alternating points of view, but I think that the premise and overall execution could have been better. But it did have a nice, peaceful, resolved ending.

10 comments:

  1. Woah,the cover is really beautiful.I love fairy tale retellings and this sounds really unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cover is gorgeous and I love fairy tale retellings, especially this fairy tale. Too bad it wasn't too great though! But I still want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is, isn't it? I didn't love this one, but I hope that you adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I love fairytale retellings as well! I didn't think it was that great, but you should read it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, it's too bad this one wasn't as great as it could have been. I love description, but when it gets boring and overpowers the story, I start to get annoyed. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series more, should you decide to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neyra @DarkestAddictionsNovember 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM

    I had been looking forward to this one, but it always seems to keep going in the back of my mind, behind other books and so on. Still I hope top read it some day, at least you enjoyed it some (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I know exactly what you mean! I have several books that are always doing that. I enjoyed it a little! I hope that you get to read it sometime! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get annoyed when description overpowers the story as well! If I decide to continue... I'll try my best to like the rest! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll still have to check this one out - because I want to see if those little things will aggravate me as well. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, well, whatever works for you. ;) LOL.

    ReplyDelete