November 2, 2013

Scariest Tropes


Since Halloween was on Thursday, I just thought that I might share some of (what I think are) the scariest tropes. I hope you enjoy - it's kind of like reactions to every trope ever, actually! ;)

Possession: In all honesty, I just can't deal with possession books or movies. I read Bad Girls Don't Die when I was about twelve or so, and that book scared the bejeezus out of me. I shudder to even think of how I would respond to a movie with it! Ugh. *shudder*

Dolls: I can pin down the exact moment that I became afraid of dolls. We have porcelain dolls in our house. Obviously I'm not scared of those, but I was a camp counselor a year ago, for a church camp. Just so happens that one of the girls in my cabin was a severely depressed little girl. Big brown eyes, haunted and everything. She cried about very sad and philosophical stuff, that a child her age shouldn't be thinking about. I haven't even told you the worst part yet - she had a doll. A porcelain doll - one that she slept with, and dressed in different outfits. She went every where with it, and she told us all that her dead grandmother had given it to her. That doll's expression... was terrifying. And it wasn't always the same when you looked at it, I SWEAR. All of the counselors were terrified of that doll, myself included. And while this might seem like a silly thing, you weren't around this little girl. Depressed, slightly suicidal, and with the biggest haunted eyes you've ever seen. There was something wrong with that doll. This, this only, is why I'm terrified of dolls such as hers. The vibe around that thing was monstrous - it made you look over your shoulder, that's for sure. (By the way, this story is completely true. I am not making it up.)

Ghosties: I am not scared of this trope - I actually adore it! My favorite is the vengeful ghosts, such as Anna from  Anna Dressed in Blood or Naughty Jack from The Diviners. The ones who are creepy and crazy and have you looking out the windows in the dark. Love this trope!

Zombies: I'm also in love with the zombies trope! I want grisly, terrifying zombies, though. I don't want those wimpy ones that so often dominate literature. Can't even turn a doorknob. Meh. For zombie books, I prefer the ones that are full of gore. Yet, I tried watching The Walking Dead on Netflix the other day and wasn't a huge fan? It was only "okay" for me.

Insanity: I enjoy insanity too - for what it's worth. It's scary enough to keep anyone interested, and crazy enough that I usually can't figure what's going on until the very end. I am IN LOVE with the movie Shutter Island, and the Mara Dyer series does a good job with a main character who's pretty much insane.

What do you think? Do any of these tropes terrify/delight YOU?

22 comments:

  1. The story about the dolls was very interesting, and quite scary! I admit I don't mind dolls in RL, but when dolls come up in books - usually in the possibly haunted, maybe possessed, creepy variety - I can't really handle it. There is nothing scarier than a doll suddenly smiling, or changing expressions, or asking you to 'play with it'.

    I love ghost stories, but not so much Zombies. I mean, they eat brains, and flesh, and they skin is rotting.

    "Can't even turn a doorknob. Meh." <-- I laughed out loud. Ask my mother, she was in the room and witnessed it.



    I like when the main character might be insane, but is not. But in the process of being accused of insanity, she becomes partly so. Am I making any sense?


    Great post girly <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insanity is prob my fav horror trope. I love a good psychological thriller. Those creep me out the most. Great list, Megan! (Becca @ Nawanda Files)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man, I LOVE ghosts! Though I haven't read much ghost books I do love watching ghost shows. It's my addiction. xD
    And oh my god, I shouldn't have read the thing about that girl and her doll. Creeped me the hell out. Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolls are creepy in my opinion. The others though... not so much. There's something about their faces that really creep me out, lol. I don't know why. O_o

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neyra @DarkestAddictionsNovember 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM

    I love a good Zombie/Ghost/Possession story. They're very rare reads for me though, if anything I watch more than read (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post-love it. I so agree with the doll thing, I've had some scary experiences of my own with dolls. And the possession stuff-who wouldn't be freaked out by that!? Shutter Island was a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Dolls are just SCARY. No two ways around it. I'm not sure - it's a really popular movie genre, but the very idea just scares me to DEATH. It was, wasn't it? I'm glad that we both liked it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, me too! But I definitely read more than I watch. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are! LOL, I don't think that some of them are creepy, I mentioned some that I liked too. ;) Haha, happens to everyone. I don't know why either! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ghosts are wonderful! I actually haven't really seen any ghost shows? I don't have TV, that's why. ;P


    LOL. I'm so sorry if it creeped you out... I probably shouldn't say that it's true again, right? XP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, thank you! It terrified me for weeks afterwards. I just mind that doll - in general, dolls don't really freak me out. But if something gives me a vibe... there's just no getting away, LOL. I KNOW. Doll expressions changing is the WORST.


    Maybe I will ask your mom - LOL. Did you really laugh? So glad I'm entertaining. ;)


    You definitely make sense. The definition of insanity is doing the same exact thing, over and over and expecting different results. So by trying to convince others that she isn't insane, she becomes insane.


    Thanks, girly! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love psychological books too! They're fabulous! Thanks for the comment, girly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahahaha sorry, I couldn't help it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dolls can even be quite cute! (not talking about the Porcelain type of dolls. Those ALWAYS give me the creeps, probably because they're the type movies and books use for their haunted variety and because there is always something in their eyes and face that makes me unable to like them).

    YES IT IS! but I think a doll asking you to "play with her" is a close second...

    Yes, I did :) I was in the middle of helping my mother with a really boring presentation (my mother does not get along with computer programs. It would take her years without my help) and that added some much needed amusement! <3

    How true. Though, usually they manage to get different results at the end.

    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some dolls. Like cabbage patch dolls, or just... the non porcelain variety. Porcelain dolls are the scary kind, LOL! THEY LOOK TO CREEPISHLY REAL. I think that's it.


    That is definitely a close second... just know that if a doll ever talks to me... I'm going to run away screaming. LIKE AN INSANE PERSON. But that's just me...


    Haha, well, I'm glad that I helped! It sucks to do boring computer stuff. :/ I have to do our taxes on Excel, and let me tell you... you've never had a backache until you've sat for HOURS doing TAXES. O.o


    Well, whatever works, right? ;)


    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. That might be it, yeah...


    LOL, I will run screaming too. Or play dead. If it works on bears, why shouldn't it work on dolls, right? *makes no sense but who cares*


    You do your taxes!? What the hell?? Aren't you too young for that? Or is that something you do from a small age in the US? Cause I sure as hell never had to do it (yet). Not looking forward to it, either.


    Hey - was the "currently reading" always there? O-O

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always a possibility...


    LOL. I'd rather run away than play dead, because WHAT IF IT MOVES. My shriek would break windows. :P


    Um... no? It's not a huge deal - it sucks, very much, but it's a common thing. Most kids that I know (who's parents own businesses) help with the books, and the taxes. It sucks.


    Yes - but I just started updating it again. :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. If it moves I'm out of there, naturally. If it moves I'll probably find a way to teleport myself out of there, just with the mere thought of doing so.


    Seriously? I didn't know that. That sounds weird to me xD But I guess it's good... practice, or something?


    Ohhh, that explains things :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha. I'd kind of like to learn that ability - it would make for some super clean getaways! :P


    I guess so! It's basically just business owners' kids. Cause no one else that I know of does them. :P Underage, and all of that.


    Quite. I'm magical, aren't it? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to learn teleportation sooooooo badly. Think about it; you won't have to get out of the house a second earlier. You could beat traffic. You could sleep late!! You could READ TO THE MAXIMUM!


    Yes you are <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha, but I enjoy the journey! It gives me time to think about stuff, and I like driving. :) But there are a great amount of pros, though! Awwww you so sweet!

    ReplyDelete