March 24, 2014

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Series: Percy Jackson & The Olympians, #2
Source: Bought
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: April 1, 2006
The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Riordan's amazing young readers series. Starring Percy Jackson, a "half blood" whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Riordan's series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that results in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book's drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come

My happiness with this series continued right into this book - once again, we start out with a wonderfully action-packed beginning that thrusts us right back into Percy's world. And I loved it! Immediately, stuff was happening and the plot was twisting and Percy was Percy...

Speaking of Percy, I really do like him. There's something sweet about his personality, and I like the fact that he's so loyal to all of his friends. He would do anything to save them all, and I just think that he's a brave boy. I also like that he seems older in this one - he's growing throughout the books, and there's nothing better than that in my opinion.

I also liked that we get to meet a new character in this one - be prepared for Tyson, y'all. You will fall for his sweet little cyclops self. He's just so precious! There is a bit of drama associated with him, but believe me it's barely a blip - and he overcomes it with his adorable big puppy dog-ish-ness.

I loved the new quest - it seems like every book is going to have a different quest, and I'm not gonna lie - I'm super excited about this! It's like the perfect blend of nerdiness + fantasy for me. I mean, Greek mythology AND quests? There will never come a time when that isn't awesome!!

Let's talk about Percabeth, though. Let's really talk about it - nothing has really happened, but OMG. I want it to happen so bad, it's like I'm dying for it! I definitely definitely ship it, and I'd be the kind of person to push it on them. IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN. Like, really.

AND THE ENDING. It's a cliffy, y'all. Be prepared to immediately reach for the next book, because you're going to need it!

16 comments:

  1. I'm too old for this book, but I'm glad you liked it :D.
    I watched the 1st movie about Percy Jackson though- it wasn't bad. My favorite part about it was definitely the Greek mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes awhile for Percabeth to get together. It sucks to wait. :D I'm happy you like it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. The movie sucks in general.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tyson is very precious indeed. My re-read for recap purposes really enforced that in me xD I love it when books give the meanest looking ones the sweetest personalities :P

    "Let's talk about Percabeth, though." <--- ahh, the voice of the fandom. You just summarized what goes on in our heads without meaning to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really related - but I was wondering what do you mean you're "too old" for it? Have you read the book and didn't like it? I'm asking cause I know my uncle, for example, who's like 45 years old read and loved the books, and my mother enjoyed them. So I'm wondering what that actually means.
    Hopefully you understand I'm asking this out of curiosity and not anything else! :)


    Also, the films are the worse adaptation I've ever seen, and I couldn't finish the first. I've never been able to disconnect them from the fact they're adaptation, so I don't know how they are as a film regardless of the books, but in regard to the book... monstrosity.


    Again, sorry for butting in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, sorry for confusing you...When I said that I was too old for it, I meant that I prefer more mature books now. I'm only 25 xD. I enjoyed this type of books 2-3 years ago, but I still enjoy watching fantasy movies, no matter if teens are the main characters.


    The books are always better than movies, agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I'm 20, and while I do notice a change in my tastes (I do read more "mature" books now), I still enjoy these books and read them. I kind of hope I'll stay like this :P It'll be sad for me to wake up one day and realize I *don't* want to read those anymore - like a part of me just left. I hate change xD

    Ahh, such a true statement...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophia (the Bookworm)March 26, 2014 at 6:33 PM

    Eeep! I loved this series; it reminds me of my awkward middle school years. It's so nice to read a review of it! It takes FOREVER for Percabeth, but it's so worth it. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series; great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a fabulous review, and I agree wholeheartedly! I love Percy in this one, and I love that he gets older with each book, too. I ship Percabeth incredibly hard, so I'm right there with you on that one. Oh, Tyson -- he just might be my favorite character aside from Percy. I adore him. He's such a sweetheart. This review brings back so many awesome memories of this series -- I might have to re-read it soon =)


    ~Mckenzie @ A Belle's Tales

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, Percy is just the cutest boy ever. I love him! He's definitely one of my favorites - he's very endearing, you know? You should definitely reread it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this series too! I never had awkward middle school years, so it doesn't take me back to that. Haha, it really was worth it!! Aww, thanks! I did love the rest of the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's so cute! Really, though. Who cares what he looks like? He has the sweetest heart! And that was completely not my plan, but yeah. I kind of did, didn't I? Teehee. The PJO fandom is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, I agree with both of you about mature reading choices, but I really enjoyed this series. I enjoy immature books as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't care what he looks like o-o I just love the contrast. It's like... Riordan's saying, "judge someone by who they are, and not how they look".
    Yes you did :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, I didn't say you did! I was just making a comment. And that's definitely what he's saying - and it's awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete