March 28, 2014

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
Series: Percy Jackson & The Olympians, #4
Source: Bought
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: March 6, 2008
Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears on campus, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.
In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth - a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn
So, The Battle of the Labyrinth. I'm sure you're all expecting me to have something either completely bad or completely awesome to say about this one, considering the fact that this was one of my personal favorites of the series - but words... fail me. I don't even really know what to say! I was going to say that this was my ultimate favorite of the series, but since I've already read The Last Olympian, that's not true. I think that they're tied for my favorite.

I really loved the beginning of this one - it somehow made a bigger impression on me than all of the others - there was immediately something big going on. It was interesting to have Rachel back, after the part that she played in the third book, but I wasn't really sure what to think of her. (By the fifth book, though... I didn't want her around. PERACHEL SHALL NOT HAPPEN ON MY WATCH!)

Since that little outburst is out of the way... I was feeling kind of... I don't know. Sad because I knew that there was no way that everything I wanted could happen in the last two books? It was making me nervous. But in spite of all that, I REALLY love this series.

The Battle of the Labyrinth was the first book where Percy started to realize that Annabeth was a girl - and OMG, I almost died at the adorableness of that! There was some new developments between Annabeth and Percy, with a little bit of tension and GAH it was amazing.

I love the fact that as Percy gets older, it's shown in the books. He makes more mature decisions, and he has an older voice. I like that. It's not something that really happens very often.

I really liked the new twists and plot devices - there's always something super fun going on in this series, and I LOVE IT. Everyone had a part to play, and it was lovely to see everything playing out. I didn't see the ending coming, and it kind of left me stunned!

All in all, The Battle of the Labyrinth was a great continuation of the Percy Jackson series, and since I've read the fifth book, I can tell you that I'm sorry to see these characters go. (Especially Percy and Annabeth! And Nico. I have a soft spot for the little guy.)

8 comments:

  1. hahaha I LOVE when Percy started to notice Annabeth as more than just Annabeth! It was absolutely adorable. I loved this one and it is my second favorite of the series! You are making me want to do a re-read. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I haven't read this series, I skimmed your review, but I'm so happy that it ended well! I hate not knowing what to say, but at the same time, sometimes it's a good feeling. I'll definitely have to start this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes of course! NO TO PERACHEL, lol! And like you said, Percy was so, so adorable in this one. He and Annabeth were just so asdfghjkl. As well as the twists--it seems that Riordan can't run out of twists! This one was probably my favorite in the series, but The Last Olympian's definitely a close second. ^_^ Lovely review!

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Perachel. Those who love Perachel need to jump into Tartarus. And Percabeth are cuter in this book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perachel shall never happen! And Percabeth was adorbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Percabeth is always oewrhfoeugheudgh for me, LOL. He never does, does he? He throws them into one situation after another - where do these ideas come from? This one was definitely my favorite!! Thanks, Aimee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, it ended really well! You really, really need to read this series! It is this cutest thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, it was the best moment of my life. LOL. Definitely go do a reread!! :D Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete