March 21, 2014

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Series: Percy Jackson & The Olympians
Source: Bought
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: March 21, 2006
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.

I'm not going to lie here - the reason that I put off Percy for so long was because of the hype surrounding this series - I mean, we have buckets and buckets of fans. I don't even know if there's any haters, and let's be honest here - I tend to be a naysayer. But I'm super happy to tell you that I actually really enjoyed The Lightning Thief! But first, a quick backstory: Nitzan has been trying to get me to read Percy FOREVER. She was just telling me how awesome it was and everything else - and then, suddenly, whenever I looked at Pinterest, there were headcanons for Percy everywhere. And there were words on them, so I HAD to read them... and I became slightly obsessed. Then there was a discussion on Twitter, and the #PercyPowWow was born... that is the story of how I came to read Percy Jackson.

Now that I've cleared things up with y'all, let's start back at the beginning. I liked this more than I expected to! For some odd reason, I had this idea that I wouldn't really care for Percy as a character. Maybe because he's a guy, or because he's a pre-pubescent guy... whatever. Turns out that he's really great, though! Percy is just so snarky and lovable.

He loves his mom, and I actually think that he seems pretty smart. Flighty, yes. But still smart. I liked that he read like a twelve year old boy - it was nice that he matched up, and wasn't too mature or immature. I also liked the relationships that he formed with the other characters throughout. I loved his friendship with Annabeth & Grover, and I can't wait to see where those relationships will take him in the future!

Another thing that I liked about The Lightning Thief was the ridiculous jokes and the over-the-top plot twists throughout the book. I laughed out loud (hysterically) a few times, that's for sure. And every single plot twist - as ridiculous as they were - somehow made sense. Anyone who can fit pieces like that together most definitely gets my vote.

I liked the never-ending presence of the Greek gods, and the explanation for how they came to be in America. I, for one - have pretty much questioned every myth retelling ever, because of the fact that they all take place in America. It was WONDERFUL to have an explanation for once!

All in all, The Lightning Thief really was a fun read. I'm enjoying the series so far, and I can't wait for shipping Percy and Annabeth. Also, can't tell you how disappointed I am in the movie now.

16 comments:

  1. I regret nothing! I got you to read this fab series (eventually, anyways lol).
    These books are so funny!! Riordan has the best sense of humor :)
    Rick definitely gets point from me for explaining the gods' presence so well! It was like "huh, that actually makes sense!"


    THE MOVIE SHALL NOT BE NAMED OR DISCUSSED. IT NEVER HAPPENED. EVERYTHING IS ALRIGHT. IT WAS JUST A NIGHTMARE. YOU WOKE UP AND EVERYTHING IS OKAY WITH THE WORLD AND IT NEVER HAPPENED!


    (I am a bit... touchy... when it comes to THAT abomination...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy for you! I love The Lightning Thief, and Rick Riordan just keeps on getting better with each series. :) Found you through Bloggers Commenting Back, hehe. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Great Gatsby is one of my favorites, but I agree that it's a book that's hard to read. The 'contemporary' classics is not one of my favorites because they're so hard to understand! I liked the classics like Austen and Shakespeare better. But I hated Daisy, shucks. She didn't deserve Jay at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Ship PERCY AND ANNBETH!
    And yes, the movie totally sucks. Book is beyond better. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review! =D I agree with you on the explanation for how the gods came to be in America. It never gets explained in other books like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so glad someone else gets it! I liked it, but it was totally hard to read! I kept rereading certain passages to make sure I got the gist of what was going on! I actually liked this better than Shakespeare, but I have yet to try Austen! Maybe someday. :)

    And I totally agree! Daisy didn't deserve Gatsby. She was like a doll, all shiny on the outside but hollow on the inside, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you read The Sun Always Rises by Ernest Hemmingway? I've read that and Gatsby, and for both, I only understood them at the end! Haha I'm terrible. But I really appreciated them only at the end, because it was only then that I realized how beautiful the story was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! And that's always what bothers me - it's not like America is the center of the world or anything! I mean, why are the GREEK gods in AMERICA. Best explanation ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, always!! The book is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! And Riordan definitely gets better throughout the series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, but it still worked out, didn't it? Riordan really does have the best sense of humor! :)


    Teehee. Within good reason, honestly! The book is nothing like the book - so much that I have the dvd for the second movie, and I'm afraid to watch it. O.O

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will never, ever, EVER watch the second movie. I never managed to finish the first. It was the first movie I stopped half way through and declared to have had enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha, did you really do that? That's awesome! I rarely ever do that, LOL. I'm one of those people who will finish a bad movie. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nope! I haven't! Should I, though? I'm one of those people who wants to understand everything as she's reading, LOL. I can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I rarely do that, either, but I couldn't watch the abuse to my loved story anymore...

    ReplyDelete