March 10, 2014

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (Lux, #2)
Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux, #2
Source: Bought
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: August 14, 2012
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

For Onyx, I was still at the point of devouring this series- they were just a lot of fun to read, and I was enjoying myself. Like I said in my review of the first book, I feel like Katy is just a filler character. I don't really feel her development, and I don't particularly care for her, to be honest. She's just sort of there. And no, I'm still not really all that sold on her being a "book blogger".

I do still think that Katy & Daemon's chemistry is awesome, and in this one the heat was really turned up! Their chemistry was smoking, and while I didn't really care for the angst angst angst side of the story, it did make the chemistry more fun. I was totally telling Katy that she should just give in already!!

But as much as I was telling Katy to give in.... I do still think that Daemon is a douche. I mean, the way he does things and just everything... it's just, well, for lack of a better word, it's douchy. I want them to be together, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he just kind of annoys me.

I liked that this one had a little bit more of a mystery, and I'll be the first to admit that I didn't really know what was going to happen with that. I ran several theories through my head, but I don't think that there was every any that truly measured up to what happened. It was a good change, that's for sure!

The introduction of Blake was a nice twist, and I wasn't sure whether or not to trust him. I mean, I wanted to.. and I kind of did, but he was truly a wild card. I think that the quasi-love triangle that was tried out was ridiculous, though. I wish that JLA had just left well enough alone, and just kept the angst without the added drama of trying to make Daemon jealous.

I missed Dee in Onyx, she was so prevalent in the first book - and suddenly it's like she's hanging out with other people instead of Katy. Her presence was dearly missed.

All in all, Onyx was a good continuation of the Lux series, and I'd recommend it as a fun read.

11 comments:

  1. That's too bad that Katy doesn't seem to develop...I thought the first book was enjoyable, but needed a bit more from the characters!


    Nice honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Daemon IS douchy. But I love him anyway. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophia (the Bookworm)March 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM

    I agree. I don't really like Daemon...never have. He *is* a douche. I never noticed Dee's absence, though. Now that you bring it up....
    :) Great review! I'm glad you're back! Sorry we haven't talked in SUCH a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading this right now... O_O


    And I don't really like it. o_o I personally think it's a bounce off Twilight... Alien style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am actually a little ashamed to say that I barely remember this book.Of course I know the main incidents,but I forgot half of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I only read it a month or so ago - and I'm not so sure that I can remember the main incidents! So you're totally doing better than me on it, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? And LOL, Rash made me think about that all through the second book, and it totally sucks! There are so many similarities between the two, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahah, you're not the only one who loves him anyway! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope, she really doesn't develop anymore than she already was! :/ Thanks, girly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahah, sorry for pointing that out to you! But he's definitely a douche. Thanks, Sophia! I'm glad to be back, too. 'Cept I'm 16 days late on commenting back... so maybe *kind of* here for the time being? And we haven't talked in FOREVER! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sophia (the Bookworm)March 26, 2014 at 6:34 PM

    I miss you too! :)

    ReplyDelete