March 7, 2014

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1)
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux, #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

"The ones who throw their beauty around, waste what they have? Their beauty is only passing. It's just a shell hiding nothing but shadows and emptiness."

Hmm. How to say this? I actually enjoyed Obsidian a lot more than I expected to. Based on reviews, I could've gone either way. But in the end... I went both ways. See, there are parts of me that really enjoyed this one - that devoured it in just a couple of sittings, and this was the book to throw me out of my funk... but there are also parts of me that didn't think it was ridiculously great or anything.

I mean, I spent the first half of the book silently calling Daemon a douche. Because he is one, and it's really obvious. I actually find it ironic that the quote I used was from him... seeing as he throws around his beauty all the time. I mean, come on. He does, and he is a jerk and he is a douche... but there's just something that I like about him. It becomes more obvious in book two - in this one, I was mostly unsure.

Speaking of unsure, I don't know about Katy's book blog. It seems a little... fishy. I mean, she never really thinks about it, unless she's actually blogging, or talking about how she's going to read a book... which she never seems to do. Not gonna lie, I think about this little corner of the universe all the time. I'll think about things I want to say in certain reviews, or about how I need to promote more on this platform or whatever - my blog is constantly running in the background of my mind.

So, yes... I find it a little fishy that Katy doesn't think about hers all the time. And, well... the girl doesn't like country music. I knew that we couldn't be friends from that point on. (Just kidding. Kind of.) But really, Katy is more of a filler character than anything else. I think what the story is really about is.... you guessed it, Daemon. He seems to be the one with the development, while Katy is just kind of... flat and meh.

Which seems ridiculous, I mean come on! She's the main character! Where's the development? Where are the quirks and the personality traits? She's like (dare I say it?) Bella.

First off, I kind of want to curse a friend of mine - but she's right. Applaud yourself, Rashika! You made me notice all of the similarities between Obsidian and Twilight. I mean, dang. There are so many similarities, except for the fact that Daemon doesn't creepishly watch her while she sleeps, and she isn't obsessed with him immediately. She thinks he's hot, though. In the words of Razzy, "it's like a better version of Twilight."

All in all, I kind of feel like Obsidian is a guilty pleasure. It was a fun and quick read, but it's not like "OMG I LOVE IT FOREVER, ALL THE STARS" or anything like that. Solid 3.

9 comments:

  1. I actually gave this book a 5 star - for me, Daemon wasn't that bad at all, because I expected him to be so much worse judging by all the reviews. I had made him up to be THE douchiest, jerkiest person ever, and then I ended up liking him cause he wasn't that awful. I mean, Patch from Hush, Hush makes Daemon look and sound like an adorable kitten.
    I guess I never thought about Katy's lack of thoughts on her blog. I loved her, and I loved her reactions to things relating her blog (like finding out it was googable), but you're right - I can't recall her actually reading a book. Oops? lol
    However, I don't think she's like Bella at all. I loved her, and I loved the fact she "resisted" Daemon and refused to be his girlfriend because of how he treated her - that she demanded more than his sudden change of heart after all the horrible things he said/did to her.


    So, I guess we differ on this one? Still, great review and I enjoyed reading it! Made me think! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 these series!Ugh, yeah, I remember him being the biggest as**** throughout this book and I wanted her to kick his ass, but he gets better with every next book, I promise. Similarity with Twilight? Hm, maybe a little, but I also don't think Katy is anything like Bella. She is way more tougher than her. Either way, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well,I think that I disagree with you on a few things.First is that I actually liked Daemon:)I love bad boys,and that arrogance was so hot,atleast to me.Lol.
    And I found Katy a great heroine too.I loved how I could relate to her.And please don't compare her to Bella,Meg.Bella is just ugh!
    But don't worry,you'll love the sequels even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I know he gets better. And I'm glad he did, because I didn't really love him in this one. And it really is, because once my friend said that? I totally saw all of the similarities, LOL. Thanks, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, that's the fun part of books! NO ONE will ever agree with anyone else EXACTLY! :D I know of your great weakness for bad boys - and he is definitely that, so I can see the attraction. Haha, sorry! But Bella is just ugh, for sure! I did like the sequels more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, "makes Daemon sound like an adorable kitten"! I love it! But I wasn't expecting him to be all that bad, because a lot of the times I see overreaction on how "bad" people are, LOL. So I thought he might be sort of nice! But silly me. He get's better in the sequels, though.


    LOL, that was my thoughts - for a while. Then I started wondering about all the normal blogging thoughts. Because I think about my blog constantly - about writing reviews, about what I need to read, and what I could do to make it better, along with crazy things like discussion posts and which books I should wait on.


    Haha, it's always good when we differ! We'll always have something to talk about - and I know you! You're always thinking - you're a thinker! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I thought he'll be awful. I'm actually a little surprised I didn't hear backlash on Patch - Daemon had entire blogs raging on his douchiness, and he doesn't reach Patch's ankles! (yep, still there...)
    Yeah, I heard he gets better. I mean, he kind of has to. Katy won't put up with him otherwise lol. At least I hope she won't. Will be kind of off putting if after this refusal she's suddenly okay with his Jerk-Syndrome...
    Me too, the blog is always on my mind... but I guess it didn't bother me in the book cause I didn't notice it until you pointed it out :/


    I think a lot. But often on useless things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, Hush, Hush came out long before the age of book blogger rages on douchiness. At least, I think so. He is better, but he can still be a total douche. But I guess, everyone has their moments, right?


    I'm sorry! O.O I didn't mean to make you upset with the book. :/ Eh, me too. But nothing is useless if it gets someone thinking, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why should there be an "age" of rage on douchiness? Should there ALWAYS be a rage on douchiness?! A douche is a douche!
    Haha, no worries!

    ReplyDelete