March 12, 2014

#16ThingsIThoughtWereTrue by Janet Gurtler

16 Things I Thought Were True
16 Things I Thought Were True by Janet Gurtler
Series: N/A
Source: Netgalley (Thanks, Sourcebooks!)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: March 4, 2014
Heart attacks happen to other people #thingsIthoughtweretrue

When Morgan's mom gets sick, it's hard not to panic. Without her mother, she would have no one—until she finds out the dad who walked out on her as a baby isn't as far away as she thought...

Adam is a stuck-up, uptight jerk #thingsIthoughtweretrue

Now that they have a summer job together, Morgan's getting to know the real Adam, and he's actually pretty sweet...in a nerdy-hot kind of way. He even offers to go with her to find her dad. Road trip, anyone?

5000 Twitter followers are all the friends I need #thingsIthoughtweretrue

With Adam in the back seat, a hyper chatterbox named Amy behind the wheel, and plenty of Cheetos to fuel their trip, Morgan feels ready for anything. She's not expecting a flat tire, a missed ferry, a fake girlfriend...and that these two people she barely knew before the summer started will become the people she can't imagine living without.

She's brave enough to be who she is. She embraces her inner weird and flies her freak flag with all she's got. And for once, I'm smart enough to see what a wonderful thing it is.

#16ThingsIThoughtWereTrue wasn't a perfect book. Not at all. But it was an interest book with a good message - and it was true to life. Bad things happened. It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, and I think that you have to respect an author for that.

I liked it. I loved the road trip elements, and the humor - and the little hint of romance near the end. And I liked the characters. I liked the fact that Morgan was obsessed with Twitter - just like I am. And the fact that she has more online friends than real friends - because let's face it, a lot of us do. Morgan was just a normal girl, and she reacted in normal girl ways. I was proud to see it.

As for Amy and Adam... both of them stole my heart. In totally different ways. Amy stole it because she's just so true to herself - and she doesn't possess a word filter at all! I love people who just say what they feel or think, all the time! They make my life better.

And Adam? He stole my heart because he's a sweet guy - he's only hiding behind that jerk facade. He was freaking adorable, and sensitive... and heck, he was even funny. I really liked him. This group of people - Morgan, Adam and Amy - were perfect together. They just mesh right, and I loved that!

All in all, #16ThingsIThoughtWereTrue is one of those books that you like - you just don't love. In my opinion. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't a really good book - it just didn't hit me in the right way for five stars.

5 comments:

  1. Aly @ My Heart Hearts BooksMarch 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM

    I really liked 16 Things too. It's not my favorite of Janet's but it's definitely up there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You like them jerks don't you Megan? :P


    I've heard similar things about this one but I am vary of starting this because of the main character. I heard about how she basically went on a road trip right after her mother got out of a hospital to meet a dad who might not want anything to do with her which just makes me question her intelligence :P


    I am glad to hear you enjoyed this though!!


    Great review, Megan!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, it wasn't my favorite of hers either - but it was a good, fun read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, unfortunately, yes I do. Even in real life! Blech.


    It's not really like that - I mean, it kind of is. But her mom is very... strange, and she was all like "I'm going to die" but then she didn't, and she's been telling her daughter that her dad is dead... when he never even knew that she existed. It's a pretty complicated storyline, even if it is a little strange. ;)


    Thanks, sweets! :)

    ReplyDelete