March 14, 2014

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Opal (Lux, #3)
Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux, #3
Source: Bought
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: December 11, 2012
No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

You remember how I said that I was devouring this series? I was. I was really enjoying it, averaging a book a day - until I got to this one. For whatever reason, I just read this one so much slower - and I didn't like this one as much as the others in the series.

Now that Daemon has Katy, obviously the angst is gone - and that's a nice thing. I kind of thought that we would see more of them as a couple in this one - and while that did happen, the moments were just too few and far between for my taste.

And don't get me started on the introduction of a new character - Dawson was... interesting, I guess. I wanted to like him, I really did. But I feel like as a character, Dawson didn't really get the development that I hope for in all characters. As in all of these books, development of Daemon won out in the end. That's where my problems truly start - I think that the other characters should get better personalities too! I WANT MORE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

And in other news, DAWSON IS CREEPY. I want to like the boy, because he's related to Daemon... but I just find him creepy. I don't even know why I do, but... he is. So many things happen that make me sort of doubt the boy, but I guess I'll have to keep reading to find out... and I'm not so sure that I want to do that anymore.

I feel like the longer this series goes on, the less unique the plot becomes. It just seems like it's dragging butt now, so I can't imagine what it'll be like with a few more books! The ending wasn't even surprising at this point.

All in all, Opal disappointed me. It wasn't as good as the first two books in the series, and I don't really know if I'll continue reading it now.

9 comments:

  1. Aw, too bad! I read the first book and liked it well enough but this is disappointing. As if we didn't have enough creepy males in YA fiction? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised you didn't like this one.I found Opal great,but now I am actually a bit fed up with this series.
    Though I loved the romance between Katy and Daemon,I missed their fights in this book.They were so funny and interesting.
    And if you have the time for it,try out Shadows,the prequel novella.It's the story of Beth and Dawson,maybe you'll find him less creepy after that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next book Origin is so fantastic you'd be crazy not to keep reading. I didn't like this book that much either, but that next one...OMG...it's so full of action and it will take you on from the very first page. And the romance? It's never been hotter. So please read the next one, Megan? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, give Dawson a break. He just got out of Solitary. ;) And Origin, the next one, is better. It's exciting and refreshing--a good field trip from the same-ole, same-ole. AND you get to spend some time with Luc, who is easily my fave character of the series so far.

    Don't give up! (And there's only one book left afterward anyway. It comes out this year, and you're almost caught up. The whole world's gonna be jazzed about it!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, right? It's the absolute worst feeling! But I get it in a lot of series - I'm a notorious abandoner, honestly. Aww, thanks Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I know he did. But he is creepy! I keep hearing that. And Luc? I guess I don't remember or haven't met him. O.O Maybe I'll get to it eventually, you know? Thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe! I'm not sure yet, DJ! Everyone is saying that it's easily the best book so far, so we'll see. Maybe I'll pick it up. And who doesn't go for hot romance? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that it's easy to get really fed up with a series - and this one just did it faster than most? I think I'm just more of a standalone kind of girl. Their fights were a lot of fun! I don't understand why JLA decided to get rid of them. Maybe to make them seem more lovey dovey or something? Maybe I'll give the prequel a shot, 'cause you're right - maybe I'll find him less creepy after that, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, right? When are we going to get some normal, totally uncreepy boys? We've got an overload of creeps!

    ReplyDelete