March 16, 2014

Scene it Sunday #11 - Percy is Undetermined

The Lightning Thief
Series: Percy Jackson & The Olympians
Release Date: February 12, 2010
Leads: Logan Lerman, Brandon T. Jackson, Alexandra Daddario



A teenager discovers he's the descendant of a Greek god and sets out on an adventure to settle an on-going battle between the gods.




The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)


Book Scene, Percy is Undetermined -

Annabeth announced, "Percy Jackson, meet cabin eleven."
"Regular or undetermined?" somebody asked.
I didn't know what to say, but Annabeth said, "Undetermined."
Everybody groaned.



Movie Scene, Percy is Undetermined -

From the very beginning of the movie (as soon as Camp Half Blood happens) Percy is introduced as the son of Poseidon, and he's claimed almost immediately. They put him in his own private cabin, and he never lives in the Hermes cabin.

This is just one of the ridiculous changes that they made in the movie, but it's one of the bigger ones - it messed up Percy's entire developmental arc. In the books, he's shown as a relatively sweet and normal boy, who's obviously a little unsure. But in the movie, Percy is made out to be slightly arrogant, and a "hero". It's a stupid change. (Lets not even mention the fact that Percy is only twelve in the books, and is like 16 in the movies. Or the ridiculous quest. Maybe these will get mentioned at a later date... maybe.)

Did this change bother you? Have you seen this movie?

13 comments:

  1. We are NOT discussing this movie. It never happened, it doesn't exist, and I refuse to acknowledge this post *humph*
    Seriously, my worst nightmares couldn't have created a worse adaptation for this wonderful series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only read the first Percy Jackson book pretty recently and I was shocked by how many changes the movie made. But I don't like the movie any less than I used to. I just wish they'd stayed a little closer to it. But still not as bad as The Host (Stephenie Meyer) movie. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's awful! I haven't read or seen it, but I've heard great things about the books. Changes are groan-worthy, but ones that actually mess up his developing arc? NO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an awful change. In fact, the whole movie sucked because the only thing the writers got right were the names. That's ALL! The rest sucked. Nothing like the book. NOTHING!!! The book was so much better. When a writer sells their films rights, they should put in something about them having the right to edit the script and help pick out the actors. Didn't Stephanie Meyer get to do that? And she isn't a good author!!!! Seriously. The only thing I am happy about is Rick didn't watch it. He said that it would have changed how he viewed his characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This did bother me, but not as much as some of the other changes.... maybe because I could see why they cut this just for timing differences idk I think its just that the whole age change and the quest bothers me so much more! This movie could have been awesome but they just ugh!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, now that I've read the books, Nitzan - I totally understand why you disliked the movie so much. Most of what they share is a NAME, if you catch my meaning. ;) And really, I'm scared to death to watch the next one!O:O

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many changes, right?! They think that the director didn't even read the book before the filming started. (And I would totally agree.) I still like the first movie, but now that I've read the book, it kills me. LOL. I haven't seen the movie OR read the book for that one! O.O

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was awful! I never expected THAT many changes to happen! And the books win - so much win. I love them all. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. EXACTLY! That's the ONLY thing that they got right! I mean, new quests, deleting all the cool parts, different hair colors, and deleting entire characters. WHAT WAS EVEN GOING ON. Haha, they should definitely do that! It would be perfect - except have you seen the official character art for PJ&O? It's disgusting. Nico looks like a swamp rat. O.O I'M SO PROUD OF HIM FOR NOT WATCHING IT. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This movie could have been the most amazing of all things - and I understand the age... but I would have liked to have seen more of the book in the movie. And the "quest" was freaking ridiculous! They had plenty going on in the original quest, yet they had to cut it all and add that? Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  11. True, the official character art isn't the best. Nico is definitely the worst in my opinion. The fan art is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nico is terrible! He looks like he's dying of aids or something. O.o The fan art is amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete