March 8, 2014

Spin-off Series: They Scare Me


As you guys know (or are about to know) I recently read The Percy Jackson series. And I LOVE LOVE LOVED it. Pretty much the best series that I've read in a long time - and I was really sorry to let those characters go when the end came around. But I tried to, even if it caused a terrible book hangover that I'm still battling as I write this: I just want more. I want more of Percy and Annabeth, and I hear that there's some of them in The Heroes of Olympus series - a spinoff.

Normally, I love the idea of spinoff series'. But I haven't ever read one that I can think of. So, I'm super nervous. What if there isn't enough of the original characters? What if I end up hating the world, because I miss those original characters so much? What if?

It's so much easier to jump into a different series by the same author, because I don't expect the old characters to be in a new series, but I expect them to be in a spinoff. And that just worries me way too much! What if I don't like the new main characters, or even the storyline?

I'm just scared to read any spinoff. I'm irrationally afraid of it.

Is anyone else scared to start a spinoff of their favorite series' or is it just me? Is there ever too much of a good thing?

11 comments:

  1. You know, I've never really though about it. I guess I would be a little nervous though because I'd be afraid that the spin-off wouldn't be as good as the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing to be afraid of starting a spin off series,sweetheart,after all one of the best written series ever is a spin off series:)You know which one I mean,right?:)
    But I understand your feeling Megan. I read Vampire Academy in 2011,and when I finished the series,Bloodlines was already published,but I was scared to start it.I only took up the series in 2013-two years later-and look how it has ended up now:)I am obsessed with those books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've yet to read a spin off series, so I definitely understand your hesitation. Hope it turns out to be everything you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the PJ books too, but have been a bit nervous to try out the spinoff series. I've heard they are INCREDIBLE, so I really just need to check them out and get over my worries that it won't be as great.


    Spinoffs - wonderful and terrible at the same time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am scared of reading spin-offs of any books which is why I don't usually read sequels that don't have the same set of main characters.


    I don't want to like other characters when I fell in love with a 'perfectly' good pair of them :P


    I feel you man. I really do. Although for your sake I hope that the Heroes of Olympus doesn't let you down if you decide to dive in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I wish that I could no think about it! The idea is just constantly hanging over my head - and I don't have a clue about what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope so too! Spinoff series are definitely a complicated matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, that's usually how I feel - but I've only done companion novels, and we all know that's totally different. But a spinoff... super nervous! I think my love for Percy Jackson is right up there with your love of Artemis Fowl, because that's EXACTLY how I felt about reading it! Thanks for commenting, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely know which one you mean! LOL, I'm really going to have read it soon! Well, that's the absolute best turnout that anyone could hope for, Mishma! Not everything can turn out like that - and I'm proud to say that I've started the spinoff since this post... but I'm kind of scared to continue it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, we're in the absolutely same boat, then! I keep hearing about how awesome they are, but I've read the first two, and I'm scared to read the next couple. I'm gonna say that the original series was better, though. (So far!)


    Truer words have never been spoken!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've started it, and while it's not bad... it's not the original series. So I might possibly have a little bit of the things you've been talking about - cause I'm perfectly in love with those other characters. ;)

    ReplyDelete