March 9, 2014

Scene it Sunday #10 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Movie Review

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Series: The Hobbit, #1
Source: Bought
Release Date: December 14, 2012
Leads: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellan, Richard Armitage


A younger and more reluctant Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, sets out on an "unexpected journey" to the Lonely Mountain with a spirited group of Dwarves to reclaim their stolen mountain home from a dragon named Smaug.



As you all know, I'm a good fan of LotR - I like it. I do think that the books were SORT of boring, because of the excessive details, but I love the movies. They're pretty much the best, and of course the extended versions are the only way to watch them. But, unfortunately - I didn't love The Hobbit as much as I loved the first trilogy. I think that it's a good movie in its own right, but there are some times when it seemed to just drag.

Thankfully, that wasn't all that often.

I loved Martin Freeman as Bilbo - I feel like he did a fantastic job of playing an unadventurous hobbit with unexpected strength and courage. He did great. I also (of course) love Gandalf, and he's possibly one of my favorite characters in this movie.

But don't even get me started on the dwarves! I have so much love for that ragtag group of fellas, and there'll be no changing that. I liked the way that Thorin was portrayed especially. Some people complained about the amount of "dwarves singing" and "dwarves eating" scenes in the film, but I think those were some of the most fun to watch. The all interact so well together - it just makes me happy! Their playful personalities, coupled with their fun looks and the lack of seriousness in all of them (except Thorin) just made them so fun.

I also loved the animation - the goblin king was perfectly grotesque, and I don't think they could have made him look any more terrible than they did. My only true problem with this movie (besides the boring bits) was the abrupt ending - it was a super long movie, to be cut off by a subpar ending.

All in all, The Hobbit is a good movie, and I can't wait to see the next one - but prepare to be bored at certain parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment