October 16, 2013

Towering by Alex Flinn

Towering
Towering by Alex Flinn
Series: N/A
Source: Gifted
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 14, 2013
At first, I merely saw his face, his hands on the window ledge. Then, his whole body as he swung himself through the window. Only I could not see what he swung on.

Until, one day, I told my dream self to look down. And it was then that I saw. He had climbed on a rope. I knew without asking that the rope had been one of my own tying.

Rachel is trapped in a tower, held hostage by a woman she’s always called Mama. Her golden hair is growing rapidly, and to pass the time, she watches the snow fall and sings songs from her childhood, hoping someone, anyone, will hear her.

Wyatt needs time to reflect or, better yet, forget about what happened to his best friend, Tyler. That’s why he’s been shipped off to the Adirondacks in the dead of winter to live with the oldest lady in town. Either that, or no one he knows ever wants to see him again.

Dani disappeared seventeen years ago without a trace, but she left behind a journal that’s never been read, not even by her overbearing mother…until now.
First off, I just want to say that I was really looking forward to Towering. I love fairytale retellings, and I also love Alex Flinn, so I was really expecting to be wowed by this one. And I kind of was... I was wowed at how much I disliked this book. I really wasn't expecting anything like what happened.

To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure what really happened. Because we happen upon this story.. a story about a girl who's been trapped a tower since she was a young girl by a woman she knows only as "Mama". Classic Rapunzel tale... but wait. Apparently, her tears heal people.  And get this? Her hair is a magical growth hormone or something, because when she needs it, it just grows and grows until she's tripping on it and how is that helping when you're running for your life? Someone needs to explain this to me. I mean, I realized that there would be magic, but I was hoping for some kind of explanation for why (and a better one than was actually given).

But. Let's actually start from the true-blue beginning. I was enjoying it in the beginning-- the first few chapters were enchanting and interesting, and the alternating points of view were nice. From this point on, I spent the whole rest of the book trying to get back to the feeling from the beginning. Because as I read on, I realized that our main characters (Rachel and Wyatt) weren't really growing any as characters. They continued being exactly the people we met... which is sad, because I believe that people change every day.

Rachel seemed to absolutely innocent-- having only read a select few classic novels, as well as living her life in a tower probably made her that way. So kudos to the author for that. But I felt like she just didn't know enough of the world, and was existing the way a little kid (before the questioning stage) might live. Just obedient in doing whatever she was told. Also, as I've said before, her hair irked me.

Wyatt was very mysterious at first, but he didn't really behave like a normal teenage boy, in my opinion. He's too... I don't know. Maybe too... something I just can't explain... but I didn't particularly care for him as a character. Or even a love interest, to tell you the truth. He was kind of boring.

Now that I've gone and mentioned it, I might as well tell you a little about the romance. So, here goes! There was none. They met, hey let's kiss and that was the only how-do-you-do that we got out of them as a couple. It was so awkward. They met each other and then they were making out with each other within minutes...I get it, she saved your life. But do you really need to? Eeeewww. There was a serious case of insta-love going on to, because there was quite the confession upon their second meeting. *facepalm*

On top of the insta-love, I feel like the plot was revealed way too early in. Almost everything was completely obvious from the beginning, except *SPOILER* the part where her hair is magical because of a crazy drug that her mother (and her mother before her) was doing...and the fact that all of the town's missing are being housed in a magical harvesting plant (location unknown) where this highly addictive drug grows. Oh, and they're apparently mindless freaks when they're on the drugs and the only way to stop it from growing is Rachel's magical hair (according to prophecy!) And it gives them freakishly inhuman strength, as well as hallucinations. And they're all still young (and kind of immortal), except for Rachel's mom who died for an unknown reason. *SPOILER END* And weirdly, all of that happened sometime within the last fifty pages. So, WEIRD.

The ending was okay... but how good of an ending could you hope for when you didn't enjoy the book? One point five stars for the beginning.

19 comments:

  1. Wow... I'm sorry you didn't like this book. Usually, when this happens to me, I don't even bother to finish it. I might write a DNF review, or might not write a review at all. There are so many books out there that it's not worth struggling to finish one I don't enjoy.

    Oana @All Fantasy Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  2. A STAR AND A HALF?! Really? *gasp*
    I admit, I was considering reading this book, even though Flinn and I have a rocky relationship, because of the cover. I read and loved Flinn's Beastly, which was also the first book of hers I read, and in my opinion also her best. I also read and enjoyed her A Kiss in Time (though not nearly as much), but DNFed her Bewitching at like... 50 pages in. But I had hopes for this book though I wasn't super excited about it... but now, after hearing the words "Insta Love"... count me out @.@


    "because I believe that people change every day." <-- THIS. Totally agree with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Seriously, I laughed out loud. I am so sorry you were disappointed with this because I was too! I really wanted to like this and I got an eARC a while back, but I seriously DNF'd it in the beginning because I did not like it AT ALL. Sorry you had to go through it all (ewww on the romance), but glad that I didn't DNF it prematurely. The review made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thanks! I'm kind of glad that someone else was disappointed with it, to tell you the truth. I think I missed all the reviews for this. O.o Hahaha, it was no big deal. I just can't bring myself to put down books! Thanks! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES. Really. *sigh*
    I completely agree with you - Flinn's best work was Beastly. I read A Kiss in Time, too, but didn't love it nearly as much either. I haven't read Bewitching, though? I was going to, but I'm really unsure now.... O.o I'm sorry that I ruined your plans to maybe read this book! O.O *feels terrible*


    Thanks! I'm glad that you agree with that. <33

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry that I didn't like it too. Honestly, I can't help it. Even if I'm hating it, I feel this like... obligation to finish? I don't know why. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you just might love Bewitching, I don't know. Personally, it wasn't my thing. I admit that I'm kind of scared to read Flinn's works, because so far none of them has suppressed the first book of hers I read :/
    Haha, don't feel terrible! Quite frankly, if I haven't gotten around to remembering this book enough to get it, or put it on my TBD wishlist, I probably wouldn't have read it anyway <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you don't know... but I'm so afraid that I won't now, considering that I only loved Beastly too! O.o Haha, okay. I feel marginally better now, but still. Kind of like when I spoiled you for Libba Bray's series. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you will LOVE it!
    Well, I will still read A Great and Terrible Beauty, so don't worry there. I own the book lol
    And, anyways, whenever you write a bad review there's always the chance someone will decide based on it not to read the book. That's what it means to put your opinion out there, and it's A okay, so don't be afraid of it! (But I know it's scary, because you never know what that person might like :3)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read more by Alex Flinn but I hated Beastly. Since then I've never read another book by Alex Flinn. I was thinking about trying another, but it just sounds like I just have a problem with her writing style.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah. I'm sorry to hear that you hated Beastly! I actually quite enjoyed it. But I totally understand that you may not want to read anything more by her. :/ Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, thanks. I hope that I do too.


    LOL. It might eat at you, though, and for that I'm sorry! That's the scary part. I always feel like when I read (or write) a negative review, they're (or I'm) telling everybody not to read the book. And honestly, it's hard to guess at what you (or someone else!) might like. LOL. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's always the chance that someone will enjoy the book you hated, yes. Especially if you're speaking of books half the world is crazy about (say, Hush, Hush). But I also think we make it quite clear that it's stricly our opinion, and we support it with a detailed explanation, thus ensuring that people know WHY we didn't like it. If someone doesn't like the same things that ticked us off, he might stir clear of the book. If it doesn't matter to him, he'll shrug it off. Anyhow, it will eat at you if you let yourself grow anxious at any person you might have stopped from reading a book so stop! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahaha I hope that people realize it's only my opinion. Otherwise we're probably going to end up with some people who have a lot to say to us... speaking of which... I was thinking; if I read Hush, Hush, do you want to do a kind of debate-ish review with me. (If I hate it, it may not work as well, but we kind of had a big long debate on your review, so it could be really cool. If you're interested.)


    Yep. I see that all the time in reviews, where some hates something that I don't even care about... in that case, (in most cases, actually) if I'm interested in the book I'll give it a chance, you know? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL yes. I'm always scared of hate comments, so I just make sure I emphasize greatly that it's an opinion. And just an opinion.
    I've never done a debate review - I would love to do one with you, though I've no idea how they work. I'll count on you to teach me the basics ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's one of my biggest fears, sadly. LOL. It's only an opinion. Ignore it if it upsets you! We're all wrong! LOL.


    Yay! That means I'll have to re-read it soon! <3 It'll be easy, I'm sure. We tend to debate & converse about everything! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exactly! Also... don't read bad reviews of a book you love O-o I mean... naturally, you won't like them... unless you've got a sense of humor and the ability to be more or less objective.
    Haha, can't wait for it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do. I mean, it's fun sometimes to see massive amounts of snark on a book you love! Haha, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree! I enjoy bad reviews of books I loved once in a while ;)

    ReplyDelete