October 21, 2013

Outcast by Adrienne Kress

Outcast
Outcast by Adrienne Kress
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Diversion Books
Publication Date: June 4, 2013
After six years of “angels” coming out of the sky and taking people from her town, 16-year-old Riley Carver has just about had it living with the constant fear. When one decides to terrorize her in her own backyard, it’s the final straw. She takes her mother’s shotgun and shoots the thing. So it’s dead. Or … not? In place of the creature she shot, is a guy. A really hot guy. A really hot alive and breathing guy. Oh, and he’s totally naked.

Not sure what to do, she drags his unconscious body to the tool shed and ties him up. After all, he’s an angel and they have tricks. When he regains consciousness she’s all set to interrogate him about why the angels come to her town, and how to get back her best friend (and almost boyfriend) Chris, who was taken the year before. But it turns out the naked guy in her shed is just as confused about everything as she is.

He thinks it’s 1956.

Set in the deep south, OUTCAST is a story of love, trust, and coming of age. It’s also a story about the supernatural, a girl with a strange sense of humor who’s got wicked aim, a greaser from the 50’s, and an army of misfits coming together for one purpose: To kick some serious angel ass.
Sing 'em to remember. Sing 'em because you remember. I remember Gabe, I remember. And I'm never going to forget.

The idea behind Outcast was really intriguing, but I honestly wasn't sure how it would turn out. Because, well, let's be honest here. How often do books deliver based on intriguingness? Almost never. But it turns out that Outcast was a step above the rest. Because it did deliver, in my mind. It had all of the elements that I like to see in a paranormal-- a hot guy who's somewhat paranormal, a freaky cult, some kind of scaryish ghost and some crazy twists in between.

I really liked our main character, Riley. At first I was expecting her to be our average, virginal, annoyingly whiny paranormal girl lead. I was pleasantly surprised! Riley was actually quite the badass. She was very straightforward and sarcastic, and let's be honest. She shot an "angel" in the face. That was pretty frecking epic. Am I right or what? Loved that. I also loved that she almost always has something to say that is so true. Seriously, check out this quote-- I love it because it's true!
Or worse. You see, an adorable little tank top on Lacy would look demure and pretty. One me it would look totally indecent, like I was some sex kitten. Basically, big boobs make people think you're trashy.
That is absolutely true! I can never get out of the house in anything resembling a tank top, so I feel for Riley. But I'm going to move on now. I liked Gabe-- he was a lot sweeter and more decent than I thought he would be. And I don't know that I would necessarily refer to him as a greaser, but whatever. He is who he is, right? Gabe was a huge part of the story-- he kept it going. You just don't realize until the end how big of a deal he is, and then it hits you how crazy awesome the whole plot was. It was twisty and turny and actually kind of confusing...but in a good way, do you know what I mean?

It was really interesting in the beginning, but as the story progressed it seemed like we were getting way too much information at one time...but it all starts to make sense later, so I'm actually okay with it. I just hope that there's less info-dump in the author's next book, because I really liked her writing. I didn't realize it until the end, but I was totally following and feeling everything that Riley was throughout Outcast, which can't be anything but good in my opinion.

All in all, Outcast really is worth a read. It was a great paranormal that made my head spin, and I absolutely loved the surprise ending, it was totally epic!

7 comments:

  1. Maja (The Nocturnal Library)October 21, 2013 at 1:43 AM

    Riley sounds like a character that would surprise me too, but one I would greatly enjoy. I'm sorry the story became a bit overwhelming later on, what with the abundance of information at all, but at least it was fun overall.
    I'm glad you liked it. Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit, I never even considered reading this book because... *ahem* of the cover. It just didn't attract me enough to check what the book was about. I don't even know why; looking at it now, it looks kind of pretty. But not the kind of cover I run to check the description off.

    I still don't think I'll give it a chance - SO many books, SO little time, and all that unfair jazz (why can't there be infinite hours to read in a day? Is that too much to ask!? <-- don't answer that..) but your review definitely upped that chance and blew my cover prejudice out of the way! LOL

    Riley sounds like a great character, and I love the idea of a crazy plot (minus the info dump).

    Question: what does a "greaser" mean?? O.o



    Great review Megs! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I'm bad about judging books by their cover, and I didn't initially want to read this... but it sounded so good so I had too! Sometimes the cover is pretty and the blurb is meh, though. You should read it, SO GOOD.

    (I will answer it because that is not too much to ask. WHY?) LOL. Seriously, I really hope that you do give it a chance - who knows. It might be love! Riley was an awesome character, IMO. The info dump was kind of a turn-off, though.

    Answer: I can't really explain it very well, but here's an article:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greaser_(subculture)



    Thanks, girly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, if you would greatly enjoy her... READ IT. It did, but I got past it. It was a very fun read. Thanks, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this story. I'm with you though, there was an awful lot of information dumping going on, especially when she conversed with the angel dude. Do you think there will be a sequel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you liked it too! LOL. Sometimes it was like, "here have all this information to confuse you. Take it!" I hope that there will be a sequel, but based on what I can find it's a standalone. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! Like that. ;D

    ReplyDelete