October 2, 2013

Spelling Troubles by Frank Cammuso

The Misadventures of Salem Hyde: Book One: Spelling Trouble
Spelling Troubles by Frank Cammuso
Series: The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1
Source: Publisher for Review
Publisher: Abrams
Publication Date: October 1, 2012
Salem Hyde just isn’t like other kids. For one thing, she’s stubborn, independent, and impulsive. For another, she’s a witch. Salem acts first and thinks later—which means most of her thinking involves coming up with excuses!

Good thing she’s been assigned an animal companion, Lord Percival J. Whamsford III. This over-anxious cat doesn’t like Salem calling him "Whammy,” and Salem doesn’t like listening to his long-winded explanations as to why she shouldn’t do something . . . like enter the class spelling bee.

Salem knows she can beat all her classmates at spells, no problem. Too late, she realizes the competition is about spelling words, not magic. And there’s nothing like a misspelled spell to cause all kinds of havoc!
All of my thoughts on Spelling Trouble are really short, but I think that's okay, because it's really short. So anyway, let's get started.

To tell you the truth, I didn't really like Spelling Trouble. It was cute, yes. But...it didn't have anything else going for it, and on top of that I'm way too old for it anyway-- but I believe that a good book (no matter what age group it's for) is a good book. So. I read it. And it disappointed me immensely. I felt like it was too convoluted-- it was very hard for me to focus on it and follow the story.

It was also way too short, and the comics left a little to be desired. But on the plus side, I've heard that the final version will be printed in colored ink! All in all, Spelling Trouble was very sweet, but it just didn't click with me as a good children's book. I encourage you to give it a shot, though!

4 comments:

  1. Bad covers in particular, but especially grammar and spelling. I'm somehow drawn to good covers... though I'll take a small chance on not so great ones as well.

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan@The Book BabeOctober 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM

    I do too. Glad that you found some of my points interesting! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahahahaha I never really thought about the job thing! But YOUR RIGHT. Oh man.. now i'm going to sit here and think about all the books that happened in. I also really dislike when there are abusive relationships that just get shrugged off.. it's like.. Um.. HELLO!!! There was one book though- Shackled by Angela Carling It was actually written purposefully with a abusive relationship . I read and reviewed it for Abuse Awareness month .. ( it is YA ) But man. it was intense. and good. and I almost got tricked by the Male Character as well! and then it was like.. UMMM NOOOOOOOOOO but ya. Good haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaha thanks! I can't think about that for very long, because I start to feel like it happens in everything. :P Ooh, I'll have to check that one out! I hadn't heard of it before... but I'd like to read it! Thanks for commenting! <3

    ReplyDelete