October 10, 2013

Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike

Life After Theft
Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike
Series: Life After Theft, #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: April 30, 2013
Moving to a new high school sucks. Especially a rich-kid private school. With uniforms. But nothing is worse than finding out the first girl you meet is dead. And a klepto.

No one can see or hear Kimberlee except Jeff, so--in hopes of bringing an end to the snarkiest haunting in history--he agrees to help her complete her "unfinished business." But when the enmity between Kimberlee and Jeff's new crush, Sera, manages to continue posthumously, Jeff wonders if he's made the right choice.

Clash meets sass in this uproarious modern-day retelling of Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel.
Life After Theft was something new for me. I've never read The Scarlet Pimpernel, nor have I ever read anything by Aprilynne Pike. But so far, I can say that she's impressed me as an author. I really liked this one, even if there were a few moments that I was like "haha that would never happen."

Jeff seemed to be a really laid back kind of guy. He had his jerky moments, but most of the time I think that he was just being forced into doing whatever Kimberlee wanted, because he's just a nice guy. On that note, I wasn't expecting a guy narrator-- the cover confused me! But even though it was a guy narrator, I liked him. Guy narrators are so much fun, don't you think? Especially Jeff.

But let's move onto Kimberlee. I'm not sure, but Kimberlee might just be crazy. I know for sure that she really wasn't all that nice, and that she stole a lot, but we really don't get anything more on her. I would've liked to have seen a chapter through her point of view or something-- it would have helped with her development, I think. And then I would have been able to die happy. She made a really good impression on me with her "confession".

But let's move onto the story-- I thought that the storyline was really good! I liked that Jeff was helping Kimberlee return the stuff, and how funny it was that he has an entire inner monologue over it. That was great! My only problem was that Jeff got caught multiple times, and nothing ever comes of it? Something always happens that gets him off. I mean, all power to him, but that was kind of....it would never happen, you know?

The ending was amazing, though. I thought that everything was wrapped up well, and that it left it open enough that it'll be easy to continue. All in all, Life After Theft was a good read.

11 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good contemporary read! Although its too bad that Kimerlee wasn't fleshed out too well. I also never would have guessed that the narrator was a guy either. That cover is misleading. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well,, Megan, this book looks like a very good contemporary
    I didn't know it would be a guy! the narattor, I mean

    Your reader,

    Soma

    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, there is a guy narrator here? The cover confused me too! LOL I like Guy narrators, but they've to be done right. Sometimes, when a girl writes from a boy's POV it sounds... unbelievable (and the other way around).


    Hmm... I'm kind of intrigued about this book now! :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! It was kind of confusing, to say the least. Like, why can't they put a normal guy on the cover, because then it might appeal to "manly" boys too! I mean, love the cover, but it would reach a bigger audience if it had a cover that boys would like too. Covers sometimes upset me, LOL. Not to say that boys don't read books with "girly" covers, or that girls don't read books with "manly" covers...but. Sorry I'm ranting! O.O


    I agree, though. Sometimes it does sound unbelievable, but I thought that this one was done right. I hope that you read it, girly! I'd love to see your thoughts. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. It wasn't really a contemporary...but it was a good book! It's definitely a guy. Thanks for your comment! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was definitely a good read! I wish that she had been fleshed out better, but I did enjoy her as a character! I don't think that anyone guessed, LOL. Thanks, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think a book from a guy's stand of point needs to have a guy on the cover - it can be a meaningful object or part of the book or something. Like this book could've had a ghost on the cover. If the girl on the cover had any ghostly features, say she was transparent, that would've been more or less okay too. but they way it is right now is typically for contemporary novel from a girl's POV. And while it's a pretty cover, I don't think it does it's summary any justice, you know?...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, books from girls' point of view don't always have girls on them. Just, you know, a more gender neutral cover? That's exactly what I thought! The cover just screams girly contemporary, even if the synopsis does not. I definitely know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. True, but generally when you see a close up of a girl like this it IS from the girl's POV, or the girl's story anyhow,
    Yep, gender natural! Perfectly put xD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, IKR? Aww, well thank you. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  11. EXACTLY. That's what I've been saying! It was very easy to read - I liked this one too. <3

    ReplyDelete