October 24, 2013

Impossible by Komal Kant

Impossible (With Me, #1)
Impossible by Komal Kant
Series: With Me, #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: October 24, 2012
Ashton Summers is on her way to becoming the most popular girl in school and nothing—or no one—is going to stand in her way. Especially not Luca Byron, her freak neighbor, with his tattoos, loud music, and distracting green eyes.

Luca Byron has three goals in life: get through high school with a low profile, make sure his garage band becomes something more than a hobby, and try to forget about his insufferable ex-best friend, Ashton, who he can’t get out of his mind.

The last thing Ashton and Luca want to do is rekindle their friendship, but when Ashton takes a tumble down the social ladder, Luca—with his new makeover—is the only one who can help her rise up again by pretending to be her boyfriend. At first, being together is unbearable and annoying, but things start to change as Ashton and Luca discover the real reasons they drifted apart seven years ago.

Now, keeping their hands off each other seems impossible.
I picked up Impossible because it looked cute-- I mean, isn't that cover absolutely adorable? So, I was expecting a cute (if sort of fluffy) romance. Turns out that this didn't fulfill my expectations at all! It turned out to be more like lust than romance, and well, it was actually kind of confusing. They were constantly back and forth with each other, and I don't really think that they even liked each other as people...which poses a bit of a problem in my mind.

Ashton was so stuck up and snobby. She was way full of herself, and you know that thing that gives you logic? Her's doesn't appear to be working because she says things that make no sense. For instance, she broke into his house to try and shut down his band practice, and when he asked her what she was doing there, she said (and I quote!) "I could ask you the same thing." By my calculations, she was in his house. You're the only one intruding, girl! Not only that, but she was actually a really mean character. She used Luca, and she did some very rude/mean things that made me dislike her a bit more. I could not bring myself to feel anything for her.

Which brings me to Luca: I don't understand the problem. He seems like an okay kind of guy, to tell you the truth. Ashton may have said he was hideous or whatever, but tell me that isn't a whole lot of judging. He sounded okay to me, and even though he had very simplistic chapters, I think I would've liked him if I ever met 'em. He seems sweet.

On from that, their love wasn't very well developed. It seemed like they were "in love" long before any real feelings happened between them. The ending just didn't work for me either; it seemed like nothing was properly resolved.

All in all, Impossible just wasn't for me. Maybe it'll be something you'll like, though, so if it sounds good give it a shot!

16 comments:

  1. Hello! It sucks that this book didn't work out for you. Romance cliches have to be written properly and more often than not, the author overlooks a lot of the major points in their rush to get two characters together. Ashton sounds like a horrible person too :( Great review though!


    Joy @ Thoughts By J
    http://thoughtsbyj.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of glad I decided not to give this book a chance now xD I saw it a while back, and while it looked nice... I had books that sounded so much better on my list, you know? So I passed. After reading your review, I'm happy. You know how I feel about stupid characters, and stupid romances *shrug*
    I hope the next book you read works out better for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The description reminds me a bit of the Melissa Joan Hart
    movie “Drive me Crazy” from the 90s (back when Britney Spears first released
    that song). I really loved the movie,
    but it sounds like the book isn’t going to live up to that. They can’t all be winners I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen it? I may have to check it out, though! (: The book probably didn't live up to it. I agree - they can't all be winners!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, haven't we had this discussion before? :P I'm sorry that I turned you away from it! I absolutely do know... sometimes every other book sounds better. Hee hee. Glad you're happy, at least? ;) I know how you feel - and I mostly agree, except about Patch? I don't know. That re-read is coming up soon! ;)


    I hope so too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - it totally does suck! Romantic cliches do need to be done properly. <3 As much as we love them... gotta have some originality! ;) I didn't enjoy her as a character. :( Thanks, girly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL yes! we did have this conversation before! I distinctly remember telling you not to worry about it.

    We'll see how you feel after the re-read! Plus, Patch wasn't the stupid character. HE was the creepy character. Nora and (OMFG) Vee were, in that specific book...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cover too!It reminds me of a Meg Cabot book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It reminds me of one too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I distinctly remember you telling me that too... well, no need to get into it again, right? ;P


    Hahahahaha maybe they're all stupid and creepy and you're just blinded by your hate of Patch's creepiness. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A scary, but very very possible thought. Thank you, now I'll have nightmares that I've actually beautified that book in some manner. *shudder* LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahahahahaha I'm sorry that shouldn't be funny. BUT LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's okay, I forgive you. I'd laugh if it was the other way around, so... *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  14. *is forgiven* *still thinks it's funny*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this is "angsty melodrama" type. Looks like you've been in serious book funk lately.:(

    Glass @ Way Too Hot Books

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was, but I've since come out of it. I'm way ahead on reviews right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete