October 9, 2013

Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer

Smart Girls Get What They Want
Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer
Series: N/A
Source: Traded for
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: June 26, 2012
Gigi, Bea, and Neerja are best friends and total overachievers. Even if they aren't the most popular girls in school, they aren't too worried. They know their real lives will begin once they get to their Ivy League colleges. There will be ivy, and there will be cute guys in the libraries (hopefully with English accents)! But when an unexpected event shows them they're missing out on the full high school experience, it's time to come out of the honors lounge and into the spotlight. They make a pact: They will each take on their greatest challenge—and they will totally rock it.

Gigi decides to run for student rep, but she'll have to get over her fear of public speaking—and go head-to-head with gorgeous California Will. Bea used to be one of the best skiers around, until she was derailed. It could be time for her to take the plunge again. And Neerja loves the drama club but has always stayed behind the scenes—until now.

These friends are determined to show the world that smart girls really can get what they want—but that could mean getting way more attention than they ever bargained for. . .
Smart Girls Get What They Want is a book I read purely because of the fluff factor-- I was wanting a book that was simple and sweet and took my mind off of everything going on in my life. And while this one definitely had that factor, it also had a hint of non-fluff. Or as I like to call it, hard-core trying to be your very best. I definitely felt like Gigi was trying her very best to be the best she could be, and I really admired that about her.

Don't get me wrong, I am a tad upset that Gigi didn't have romance until the end, but I feel like the story itself was enough to keep me going in this case-- the romance was just a sub-plot instead of the full focus of the story. Which is fine... though I really wanted that romance to happen sooner-- I'm all for the waiting makes the heart fonder thing... but COME ON. I wanted to see the sweet little puppy love!

But back to Gigi. I felt like Gigi was a really driven character-- and while she was driven to something kind of dumb (popularity), I totally respect her for trying. I loved that all of her feelings were so real-- I definitely think that we could be a lot alike. She seems to be really sweet, and I love love love her interactions with her friends; which brings me to the next point.

I think that her friends (Neerja, Bea, etc.) could have been more developed. They were okay, but they could have been on the same level as Gigi. And they fell just a bit short of that, in my opinion. All in all, this was a pretty good read... I'll definitely be reading the author's next book. (:

7 comments:

  1. I have loved this author's adult books, but this one had too much going on for me, and I had trouble getting into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan@The Book BabeOctober 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

    I haven't read any of her adult stuff, I will definitely have to check it out! I'm sorry that you didn't love this one. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes really crave fluff books, but it's also really great when they add non-fluff as well :) Yay for a great MC, but disappointed that the secondary characters weren't as great because I love my secondary characters! And the romance. Man, nervous to read it now, but excited at the same time? Ha, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a fluffy book is all you need! When I saw you mention the lack of romance until late in the book, I was thinking ohh this is more of a character book/friendship book then. So it kind of sucks that the friends were underdeveloped.
    Still sounds fun though so I'll keep it in mind next time I want a marshmallow of a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one this summer and I enjoyed the fluff. I didn't take this or her other YA novel, How Zoe made her dreams (mostly) come true, too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IKR? It was definitely more of a friendship/finding yourself type book! The friends were a bit underdeveloped, but I still enjoyed them as a whole. <3 Definitely keep it mind! If you read it, I hope you like it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a perfect fluffy read. (: They're not meant to be taken seriously, IMO. ;)

    ReplyDelete