October 26, 2013

The Perils of Being a "Feeler"

I am a Feeler
*Post inspired by Ashley @ Nosegraze.com. Image is linked to her post, and image was created by her.*
I've noticed over time that I've become a much more critical reviewer. When I started out, everything was three stars, and rarely did I deem a book over or under that average. But the longer I reviewed, the more diverse I became with ratings. I'd rate a book five stars, then my next read would be two stars. There was no longer any rhyme or reason. So I've started to wonder... am I becoming too harsh? I've brought out the stats...to help me better decide whether or not I'm becoming harsh.

(If there was a half star, I just rounded it up.) {Reviews from August 1, to October 12, 2013}

2 reviews were one star
7 reviews were two star
14 reviews were three star
7 reviews were four star
0 reviews were five star

According to the stats (and stars) I'm really not that harsh. But when I think about all the bad things I think about certain "upsetting" books, I realize that I'm harsher while reading than I am in reviews, unless I really really hate the book... so. Why am I not as harsh in reviews?

Is it maybe because I don't want to hurt anyone... or is it because once I think all of those things, it's like it's out of my system and I don't have to think about it anymore? Sometimes I realize that I disliked several things about the book, and maybe even ranted about some, but when it's all said and done I didn't hate the book, and in most cases I even liked it. So I rate it an easy-peasy three stars. And sometimes when I have nothing but good things to say about a book, well, I may have nothing bad to say; but I just can't say that I loved it. Another one for the "three star" pile.

So you see, being a feeler really isn't that great! I wish that I could be all analytic and all that jazz. But at heart, all I am is a feeler and that's all I'll ever be. #Ermagerdthefeels

But how confusing is it for you, as a reader, when you see a harsh-ish review with a higher rating, or a nothing-but-good-things review with a low rating? Does it confuse you too? Because even though I do it myself, it still confuses me. Did they like the book, or did they really hate it? So, I've actually started to wonder lately if star ratings are even necessary? Don't get me wrong, I love them, but...if your review isn't matching your rating... what's the point?

How do you feel about reviews/stars/the feels? I realize that this post is kind of weird and all, but I just wanted to say all of that in just kind of a general way. LOL.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, this is something I can definitely relate to as well-becoming more picky. For me, I think it's because after awhile, books just blend together and remind you of other books because everything has been done before. And after all the amazing books in the past, you are always on the lookout to find a book that is just as good as that amazing one you read back then. Awesome topic, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you can relate to it, Alise! All books sound like something else, in my experience. When a book is truly unique, though, it's one of the best experiences ever! Thanks, Alise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed myself becoming a lot more picky too-what maybe used to be a 4 star review is now more likely to get a 3 or 3.5, which is where I tend to be now. I like how blogging seems to have sharpened my critical senses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of miss being able to read bad books and not even thinking about it, though. LOL. Thanks for commenting, girly!

    ReplyDelete