October 29, 2013

Sketchy by Olivia Samms

Sketchy (Bea Catcher Chronicles, #1)
Sketchy by Olivia Samms
Series: Bea Catcher Chronicles, #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: April 30, 2013
The first book in a series about 17 year old Bea Washington, an edgy, charismatic outsider and recovering addict, who discovers that with her new-found sobriety, she has a disturbing new skill. An ability to see, and draw, people's thoughts. Alarmingly, these visions are only getting stronger and increasing in frequency. As another girl in school is raped and left for dead, Bea must come to terms with her talent, learn to face her own truth, and try to help identify and stop the killer before he strikes again.
I liked Sketchy more than I thought I would, to tell you the truth. I hadn't really heard anything good about it, but it was an awesome deal, so I bought it. If nothing else, at least the cover was pretty, you know? But it actually turned out to be a good book!

I enjoyed the character of Bea. She was quirky and fun, and I felt that she gave the book a gritty feel. Mostly, she just wasn't afraid to tell it like it was, even if the way it was turned out to be pretty dang unbelievable. My only real problem with her is that she doesn't think before she acts, which puts her in several "unsavory" situations. I thought that her talent was wicked awesome-- who wouldn't love to be able to "draw" the truth out of anyone? And I mean literally, y'all. I could have all kinds of fun with that talent. But I could also get into tons of trouble with that talent, and from what I can see, that's all Bea really does.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily saying that it's a bad thing or anything...but, well, it would probably be better if she wasn't the kind of person that attracted trouble. Just sayin'. Now, before I get away from myself, I'd like to say that the mystery was handled well and that I enjoyed the supporting characters.

On a completely unrelated note, the story did have a few inconsistencies, and I found the use of excess exclamation marks to be distracting, but other than that, Sketchy was a good read.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds a lot like Slide by Jill Hathaway.
    And I love how you post reviews of unheard books.It makes your blog unique:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't know - I have Slide on my kindle, though!
    Well thank you, sweetie! It's not really intentional, LOL. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophia (the Bookworm)October 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM

    Hmm. The book seems interesting. No offense, but I find that a lot of Self Published books aren't so great. There are a handful of "goldens", but you have to weed through a lot of bad stuff...
    I'm glad you liked Bea, though. It's so hard to enjoy a book when you hate the main character.

    Great review! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No offense taken from me - I agree with that statement. It's hard to find good self-published. LOL. There's definitely weeding involved. ;) I did like Bea! She was an interesting character. Thanks, Sophia! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yay, I'm so glad you finally found a good book! That eye on the cover is all sorts of crazy, but so cool! Bea sounds like a kick-ass protagonist, her skill would definitely come in handy in the law enforcement. But I agree with you, while it's a cool skill, I'm sure people would exploit it, or I would get too ahead of myself with it.


    Wonderful review Megan! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, you're so sweet! But yes, the eyes on the cover is weird looking! Bea was pretty awesome. (: I would totally get ahead of myself with it. LOL. Thanks, girly! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! See I bought this because it was an excellent deal as well - though I haven't gotten around to reading it yet and goodness know when or ever if I will. I also heard a bunch of not so great things. I guess we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're alike in this way, it seems! :P Gah, I know the feeling. It's so depressing to think of the books that I'll never read! :/ I guess we will. ;)

    ReplyDelete