October 17, 2013

Serial Hottie by Kelly Oram

Serial Hottie
Serial Hottie by Kelly Oram
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Bluefields
Publication Date: July 10, 2012
Hockey-obsessed tomboy Eleanor Westley has never been the object of a guy's affection before. So when the hottest boy she's ever seen moves in across the street and starts treating her like she's the center of his universe, naturally she's going to be a little skeptical. But everything starts to make sense when girls who look just like Ellie start dying all around the city. Obviously the new guy is the killer, and of course he only likes her because he wants to slice her into tiny pieces. Right? The more Ellie gets to know Seth the more she's convinced he's a psychopathic killer. Problem is, he's the sweetest psychopathic killer she's ever met. Not to mention he's brutally hot. No matter how hard she tries, she can't help but fall for him. Will Ellie find true love, or will her summer of firsts turn out to be a summer of lasts?
Serial Hottie was a weird read for me. I love everything that Kelly Oram has ever done, so I went into this with high expectations. Sadly, this book didn't really meet them. My first thoughts about Seth were pretty bad-- because he was creepy. And she still liked him, and wanted to be with him, even though he creeped her out so bad. I am really, really, really not like that. If someone creeps me out, I just can't stand to even be around them. So that just didn't ring true for me. I can't imagine wanting to hang out with someone who creeped me out-- no matter how hot he was.

Aside from that, though, Ellie really was a good character. She was really spunky and funny, and she did some unexpected yet hilarious things throughout the book. I liked that she always said what she thought (even if she didn't mean to) and that she was one of the guys. I love the idea of that. She takes hits and sexist comments, and that just made me love her more. Not only that, but I loved her interactions and relationship with the J's. They were such dorky, great guys, and they came off perfectly as her best friends. One of my big problems with Ellie (aside from the attraction to a guy she's skeeved out by) is that she goes back and forth constantly with said guy. You get  a few chapters from his point of view in the end, and it must've sucked to be him.

Speaking of Seth, I do agree with Ellie. He is pretty creepy. Sometimes he can be the sweetest guy ever, and I realize that something bad happened to him, but seriously. I am off-put by his creepiness. He's overly possessive and jealous too. It actually made me wonder if he was that way because he was used to getting what he wanted, being so hot and all? I don't know, but their relationship was a whole new definition of totally screwed up. Towards the end of the book, I was all kinds of freaked out, you don't even know. Especially because I did think that he was the serial killer. So I have to give Kelly props for that set-up.

For the sake of spoilers, I can't tell you whether Seth is the killer or not-- but let's just say that I was really surprised when I finally figured out who it was. Instant shock-factor. All in all, Serial Hottie was a likable read, but I just can't get over the fact that Seth was so creepy and she still wanted him?? Why??

13 comments:

  1. I love it when tomboys fall in love.This looks like an unique read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was also my least favorite Kelly Oram novel, but I still enjoyed it. I think she always has such interesting set ups. I also think she really did mean for him to be creepy, and for the whole thing to be messed up. If she couldn't convince US he may or may not be a serial killer, she can't convince Ellie, right?
    I also thought set was kind of adorable and sweet. Totally messed up and creepy, but adorable. He really grew on me xD And Ellie's mixed signals in that area frustrated me. As you said, she was scared/creeped but also attracted, and she transmitted it to him. The poor guy, she got him so very confused!
    My favorite part, though, was seeing Ellie grow to be comfortable both with her Tomboy part and the fact that yes, she is a girl. Wearing girlie cloths doesn't make her less of an outgoing, tomboyish person. It's okay to be both :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally have to agree with you about the creeper guy lol That sounds sort of unrealistic to me. I've never read a book by the author before, but I'll definitely look into her other books :) Great review Megan!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I kind of have this think where I'm terrified of people who are even slightly creepy. LOL. You definitely need to, she does some amazing reads! Thanks, Janina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's mine too. She DEFINITELY meant for him to be creepy; that's kind of the entire story, right? YES. I think she did good on that aspect, but still it freaked me out just a tiny bit. LOL.


    Yeah... sadly. He was adorable and sweet, but he was also just so creepy sometimes! I couldn't really get over it. LOL. #frustration She did confuse him so much! Sometimes I just wanted to tell the poor guy that it would be okay but he was so creepy that I kind of didn't but he was so sweet that I kind of did... does that make any sense at all?


    Haha, yes. That was the best part. It is okay to be both! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too. It was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It freaked me out, too. But he really did grow on me, so... Besides, at a certain point I started thinking that only Ellie could possibly accept him. I mean, after a while she stopped being afraid of his shit and just put him in his place. All other girls would have run out screaming, so... Yeah, Ellie's perfect for him. LOL
    It kinda makes sense... and it kind of doesn't. LOL Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, I totally understand... I just have a hard time explaining EXACTLY how I felt about him. :P Ellie probably is the only one who could really accept him. I mean, my dad hears this song ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYXHS3OWdKo ) and totally sings "I'm gonna call the cops and report you for stalking" along to the tune, so I'm kind of conditioned to not accept people like Seth. Which is terrible, but... I can't help that I think he's creepy! I WOULD HAVE RUN AWAY SCREAMING. POSSIBLY BLOODY MURDER.


    Haha. Absolutely. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL it's okay, I would've ran out screaming too, in RL. It's not like every girl's dream is an obsessive, creepy boy... But it works for Ellie and Seth *shrug*
    OMG, that admission on your dad made me laugh out loud for real! xDDD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michele @ A Belle's TalesOctober 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

    When I read this was a weird read for you -- and then given the 'creep' factor -- I wasn't sure this was my kind of book... but goodness, your review has me so intrigued, I'm going to have to add it to my list! Fabulous review! *huge huggles*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha, I'm glad that my review intrigued you! :P It was a weird read for me... I liked it, but some things put me off, you know? If you do read it, I hope that you like it! Thanks, girly! *accepts your huge huggles and huggles back*

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does sound like a weird read, but I love that the MC is still great with how unique she is :) And Seth sounds really intriguing as well. I never would have had this on my rader, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was really weird! The MC was very unique. <3 Seth was so creepy yet sweet yet I got a bad vibe from him... weird. You're welcome! ;P

    ReplyDelete