October 23, 2013

The Last Dance by Kiki Hamilton

The Last Dance
The Last Dance by Kiki Hamilton
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: February 14, 2013
Two people couldn't be more opposite...

Kellen Peterson, the gorgeous star quarterback of the Griffin High football team, seems to have it all. Until the night of the Homecoming game, when Kellen gets tackled and suffers a traumatic brain injury - an injury that changes his life - including his ability to walk, talk and throw a football.

Ivy Ly is a senior and counting down the days until she can escape to college. Though her parents have big plans for her to be a doctor, Ivy is afraid to tell them she'd rather pursue music as a career.

Ivy's best friend, Mira, is obsessed with Kellen. When Ivy is asked to tutor the injured football player upon his return to school, she thinks it's the perfect opportunity for Mira to get to know him better - but sparks fly - in more ways than one...
The Last Dance was a bit of a disappointment for me. I was expecting a fun, sweet romance, but it turned out to be more of a cliched fluff book. Sometimes that's good, but in this case it kind of sucked. I have no inspiration about what I want/need to say about it-- it didn't provoke any real emotions for me.

I found Kellan and Ivy's relationship to be...I don't know, boring. They didn't have any true chemistry together, nor did I really think that they "loved" each other after such a short time. Not only that, but Kellan had such a messed up view of Ivy-- he saw her totally different than I did, and seriously, I was in her mind. That just screams no to me.

I liked Kellan's courage, but in my opinion that's really all that he had going for him. I would've hoped that he was unbelievably sweet or something, but it just kind of seemed like courage was all he had going for him. I did like that the author was trying to make a lesser known condition more read about, though.

Ivy...wasn't very good for me. Sometimes she seemed okay, but I can't think of one thing that stood out about her to me. I think that the biggest problem I had with The Last Dance was the lack of character development. That, and well, the lack of originality. Ivy's friend Mira appeared to be a token "quirky" best friend who wears crazy clothes and drives a VW beetle. Then we have Ivy, who's super smart and only has one friend, and then Kellan who's crazy popular and a football player. These are all such stereotypes! Stereotypes that I personally am sick of, but I don't want to go on a crazed rant.

All in all, The Last Dance really wasn't for me.

2 comments:

  1. "Kellan had such a messed up view of Ivy-- he saw her totally different than I did, and seriously, I was in her mind. That just screams no to me." -- LOL! I think us, girls, look at girls more critically than we look at guys in books (and in real life). Though, I do get your frustration. Hmm.. I wonder what his condition is all about? I read the blurb after you pointed it out and it only says brain injury.. I'm curious now. Oh, haven't we had enough of these quirky best friends who are just too good to be true? It does seem like this book is full of clichés and while they may be good sometimes, it's really originality that strikes. I'm glad you at least enjoyed it enough to give it 2 stars. I hope whatever you're reading right now (especially if you're reading Pawn from what I saw above.. I hear it's good, but you never know what floats another person's boat) is worth your time and effort a little more though :) Lovely review, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I really think that we do, but seriously - LOL. I'm glad that you understand my frustration. I'm not really sure? I felt like it was just kind of forced via the condition - he was in an accident. Yes. I completely am at the point where I could ignore all quirky friends forever. I'm completely getting tired of it!


    I did give it two stars, so it was okay. Hahaha, I'm not really loving Pawn, but I've read some really good books recently, so I'll be okay! <3 Thanks, girly!

    ReplyDelete