January 19, 2014

Scene it Sunday #8: Nick is in an Asylum

The Great Gatsby
Source: Gifted
Release Date: May 10, 2013
Leads: Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan


A Midwestern war veteran finds himself drawn to the past and lifestyle of his millionaire neighbor.








Megan is Reading:


Nick is in an Asylum, Book Scene -

Nick lives in Chicago. The asylum thing was made up completely for the movie.






Nick is in an Asylum, Movie Scene -

The movie starts out with a panning view of the outside of an asylum. It zooms into show us Nick's shrink and his file - which was never in the book at all.

I really think that this idea sucks. I mean, making Nick have a disorder of the mind just... makes the entire story kind of meaningless, because there's not a reason that you should be trusting him at all. I don't like it, 'twas a poor choice. Especially because Nick... wasn't insane. Not even a bit. Caught up, yes. But not a speck insane.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book OR seen the movie, but I hate it when they ADD something in that's not necessary and makes the reader annoyed. Taking out, I kinda get because of time. But adding something in? Gr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know the feeling. But it sucks so bad when they do that! I mean, why? Seriously. Taking something out is easy to get used to - obviously an eight hundred page book won't fit into one movie. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete