January 10, 2014

Out of Reach by Carrie Arcos

Out of Reach
Out of Reach by Carrie Arcos
Series: N/A
Source: Gifted
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: October 16, 2012
How do you find someone who doesn't want to be found? A girl searches for her missing addict brother while confronting her own secrets in this darkly lyrical novel.

Rachel has always idolized her older brother Micah. He struggles with addiction, but she tells herself that he's in control. And she almost believes it. Until the night that Micah doesn't come home.

Rachel's terrified, and she can't help but feel responsible. She should have listened when Micah tried to confide in her. And she only feels more guilt when she receives an anonymous note telling her that Micah is nearby and in danger.

With nothing more to go on than hope and a slim lead, Rachel and Micah's best friend, Tyler, begin the search. Along the way, Rachel will be forced to confront her own dark secrets, her growing attraction to Tyler, and the possibility that Micah may never come home.

For me, Out of Reach was an interesting read - I enjoyed seeing the effects of addiction on family members - a lot of the time, we read more about the person who's addicted. It was nice to see some variation to the trope.

But I went into Out of Reach expecting the story to end on the last page - and I expected closure. I really didn't get it. The story has a very open ending, with an unfinished feel, and I didn't particularly care for that. I wanted to see how everything turned out. I wanted to see where the growing attraction between Rachel and Tyler went, and so many other things.

I wanted more from this.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it! I liked the overall feel - the sad and the happy. I liked that Rachel grew throughout the book, and that maybe she came out a little happier than she was when she went in. I sympathized with Rachel - I wouldn't know what to say or do in that situation either, so I react to things similarly. In the beginning, I feel like Rachel was severely depressed. The first chapter is told in completely monosyllabic sentences - straight and to the point, which set the feel of the novel.

I'm glad that was over by the second chapter, though - I don't think I could have taken it for much longer. I wanted Rachel to just feel - to feel anything! And by the end, I really do think that she was feeling. We started out with an empty shell of a character, but she grew up from that.

I liked Tyler - he was very chivalrous. I think that they (Rachel & him)  would have made a good couple. He was adorably protective of her, and I just want them to be together. They could be good for each other.

The flashbacks that Rachel had of times with Micah were good - I liked seeing his progression through her eyes, and seeing all those sweet moments with them as kids. It added an interesting depth to the story.

All in all, I can't say that I didn't enjoy Out of Reach, it just left me with more questions than answers.

8 comments:

  1. This book sounds great.I love books which feature real life problems and situations,and the whole drug addicted brother business sounds interesting.I really like the cover too.It suits the the description perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the cove for this book lol
    I guess we read different books, because at the very least in the NA genre there is more about people who had addicted family members than those who are addicted themselves :/ though it's usually toward abuse, so I guess there isn't much variation there either xD
    An open ending?! no, no, no...
    But... I'm really attracted by the growth you describe here... It sounds lovely to read of.
    Arg, decisions, decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! :D
    I think we do - I've kind of started to stay away from NA, and to be honest... this was the first "addiction" book that involves a sibling that I've read. I've read lots of them about parents, etc. Hahah, YEP. I can't stand an open ending! I was so upset. :/


    You'll just have to decide... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was pretty good. I love those kinds of books too - they have more meaning, and they're usually really good reads. :) It was really interesting - I could spoil something (that made it more interesting) but I won't. It does suit, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy the NA genre, even if most books are less than mind-blowing.
    Mags, you just saw me for two days trying to decide about a freakin' pre-order cart (which I haven't yet decided, by the way) so, you tell me - is it wise to let ME decide? XDD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand that - I tend to stick to authors I know in the NA's, LOL. As a genre... it can be fun.
    Hahahahaha, I know. But it's gonna be okay, because I trust your decision making skills. You're keeping your options open. ;)

    ReplyDelete