June 20, 2012

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg


Prom and Prejudice
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single girl of high standing at Longbourn Academy must be in want of a prom date.
After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn't interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be - especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.


Lizzie is happy about her friend's burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles's friend, Will Darcy, who's snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn't seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it's because her family doesn't have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk - so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?


My Thoughts/Review:

What to say on this book....I'm pretty sure it's the only re-writing of Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice' out there that doesn't involve a whole bunch of completely ridiculous outcomes and, well, you know, time travel. Yes, I have read a re-write with time travel in it. Thankfully, this wasn't it.

I really enjoyed this book, even though it never strayed from the original story at all. It was the original story, complete with cell phones and prom dresses. Every little bit of Pride and Prejudice was modified. It now takes place in the 2000's, features a scholarship girl, and, of course, Will Darcy. No re-telling is complete without Will Darcy.

Well, to be honest, the stilted, 'flowery' language was actually kind of annoying. No girl says, 'I detest him', in a serious way. In a joking way, sure. I'm sure that I've done that once or twice. But not seriously. And she does it seriously. Moving on.

I felt that a few loose ends could have been tied up better, and that some of the scenes where Darcy was ignoring Lizzie were a bit over-done. Bam! Suddenly Darcy is ignoring Lizzie, of Lizzie is ignoring Darcy. It never ends! I just wish it worked out easier, ya know?

So, all in all, I really did enjoy this book, but I would only recommend it if you enjoy Jane Austen re-tellings. I, for one, do enjoy them. A lot, actually.


♠♠♠
Favorite Quote:
He was the same. They were all the same. I was the only one who was different.

6 comments:

  1. Ahh I love Pride and Prejudicee I really want to read this now! :D Only retelling I've read is Bridget Jones... could you recommend me some others? :)

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I've never read p&p. A good rewrite is 'Prada and Prejudice'. Is Bridget Jones any good?

      Delete
  2. I like reading the Pride & Prejudice sequels, because the rewrites make me crazy!!!

    www.amysbooketlist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sequels...like what happens after kind of things? Why do rewrites make you crazy?

      Delete
  3. Have you read Pride and Popularity by Jenni James? It doesn't involve time travel and the language is pretty modern but it's still Pride and Prejudice. The author is making a whole series called the Jane Austen Diaries and so far I love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was completely adorable, LOL. I've only read the first two, but I have high hopes for the last two! I've never actually read the originals, so I have nothing to base off of, but I want something that I can love. (:

      Delete