June 18, 2012

A Long Way From You by Gwendolyn Heasley


 A Long Way from You  
For too long, Kitsy has had to satisfy her dreams of becoming a real artist by giving her friends makeovers before prom. So when her best friend Corrinne's family offers to sponsor her for a summer art course in New York City, Kitsy bids a temporary good-bye to Texas to say hello to the West Village.


Between navigating the subway and the New Yorkers—namely, the Art Boy who has a nice trick of getting under her skin—Kitsy knows that this summer is going to be about a lot more than figure drawing.


My Thoughts/Review:

Hey guys, you remember my review of Where I Belong? And how it was a three star read, and I ranted endlessly about Corrinne's  big city ways, and how she made small towns sound so awful? Well, this book was the complete opposite. When I got an email a few weeks ago, telling me about this book, and offering a review copy, I was unsure, but of course jumped at the chance. You can't judge an author based on one book, you have to base that opinion on other books written by them, too.

 Where I didn't really particularly care for Corrinne, I freaking loved Kitsy. She was awkward, and funny, and really just a normal girl. I could identify with her, where I found it hard to identify with Corrinne, never having shopped at big stores in NYC, or ever lived in a condo. I just didn't identify. It's like Gossipgirl. I couldn't never get into the book, because the scenarios seemed so wrong to me.

But back to Kitsy. I could identify with going to NYC, and being scared, and awkward. Really, I identify very well with Kitsy. Especially the running away from something part. You can't just live your life running. You've got to face the fear sometime, and the way Kitsy handled it was just great. *Snaps for Kitsy!*

One thing I wish had been better was Kitsy's relationship with Hands. I would've liked there to have been more development, before we just got thrown into the middle.

So....the story. Did I like it? Well, yes, I did. From the moment I started, I knew that I probably would. Kitsy is just so straight-forward, and I can't wait to read more about the Broken Spoker's. All in all, I enjoyed this book, and will be picking up the next by Gwendolyn Heasley.



♠♠♠♠
Favorite Quote:
This is the place of dreams, even if today wasn't perfect. You can't expect to wake up and have your dreams come true instantly. You have to earn them, and if I'm good at anything, it's working hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment